Cloudy headlights

2004 Renault Master. Some of the online links suggest you have to go back to 300 grit to remove enough material, can this be right?
Planning to use the new Lidl Cordless Angle Grinder (since there is no mains where it is parked), also it has variable speed so can start at about 1000 rpm. NOT with abrasive paper, I hasten to add.
I was thinking about using felt disks, either the plane ones or the ones with a set of overlapping pads together with a polishing compound.
Comments?
Also any recommended UV lacquer to finish?
On 12/07/2019 15:30, newshound wrote:

I had an MOT advisory this year of "product on headlights"....do they think I'm a boy racer in a fart can or what? ......I'm just going to use toothpaste and an old toothbrush ......product my arse......
After serious thinking Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote :

They are easy to polish up with toothpaste, autosol, or colourcut, but once done they will decline more rapidly, because the UV coating has been removed. I would like to know what UV coating works.
On 12/07/2019 17:44, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Yacht varnish?
Clear self adhesive window film?
dennis@home used his keyboard to write :

They are polycarb I think, so what ever used needs to not attack that material - could be expensive if it does make a headlight lens craze.
Mine are sort of OK, but could do with a polish up. I bought a kit, which included sachets of some cream which was supposed to retard the hazing.
On 12/07/2019 18:44, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I would be tempted to try Foam Gun Cleaner, which is acetone.
I use this on my white upvc windows when spiders and other insects leave brown stain marks.
Seems to work a treat.
On 12/07/2019 18:53, Andrew wrote:

Really bad advice to put acetone on polycarbonate. Google it.
On 12/07/2019 18:44, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/g1470/which-headlight-restorer-works-best/
It happens that dennis@home formulated :

Thanks, but all those just report the immediate result. I am more interested in how well it lasts, the UV protection.
I can get my lens back to gleaming with what I have at the moment, I have done it before, but given a few months they are as bad again due to lack of UV protection.
On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 15:30:01 +0100

When my car failed the MOT for having no discernible beam pattern ("We can fit new ones for you ...") I decided to first thoroughly clean the lenses before getting stuck in with the wet and dry. One of the cleaners I had to hand was sugar soap, and to my surprise it significantly reduced the haziness, such that a quick rub over with metal polish had the beams nice and crisp. I think the guys at the garage were surprised to see me back so soon.
On 23/07/2019 06:46, Rob Morley wrote:

I see several different early Focuses with cloudy lights each year for their tests, after a normal wash of the lights I use a lump of body clay and dilute detergent to clean them, then Mcguirs RX headlight polish, they all respond well to this every year, and it is very quick to do. What I do notice is that the residue of the cleaning has a green tinge to it, so I wonder if it is some sort of algae that grows on the lens?
On 23/07/2019 07:20, MrCheerful wrote:

Someone on youtube swears by cleaning the plastic with wet-and-dry ultra-fine grade then just covering the lens with clingfilm.
when that gets mucky, peel it off and stick some more clingfilm on.

("We

the

clay

I tried all sorts, but when my car came back from passing its MOT the garage had cleared it using T-CUT and WATER. Should have asked them sooner.
--
Jim S

I would have thought that well-thinned T-Cut would work - and I guess that Brasso or Silvo would work too.
--
Ian

On 24/07/2019 10:36, Ian Jackson wrote:

Mine came up pretty well using standard domestic "cream cleaner". Using a felt wheel on a variable cordless speed angle grinder I found it easy enough to avoid melting by keeping the speed down and not using the corner of the pad (on the Master there is plenty of "lens" that is just over decorative chrome, so you can check your technique on this region). But, the cheap pads are rather "bumpy" so it isn't very easy to do. I finished them off by hand, but that was quite hard work.
On Wed, 24 Jul 2019 13:12:41 +0100

But I'm sure they were grateful. ;-)
On 24/07/2019 20:49, Rob Morley wrote:

Just had delivery today of a disk with about 24 square felt pads around the rim, set overlapping (if you know what I mean). There are abrasive paper disks designed a bit like this too. From a quick trial on a spare piece of perspex, this looks as though it will be good on headlights.
Ian Jackson formulated on Wednesday :

Absolutely any fine abrasive polish will bring the lens up.
On 25/07/2019 08:59, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

There used to be something called 'Jewellers Rouge'
On Thu, 25 Jul 2019 11:59:00 +0100

There still is - I bought some on eBay a few months back. It's just ferric oxide in a very fine powder form.