halogen headlights gone cloudy

the headlights on my 87 caravan are going quite cloudy inside. they're halogen units, not the sealed beam type. Is there any way to 'de cloud' them, or will i just have to replace them?

Reply to
flobert

Many vehicles all makes and models have the same problem, they turn cloudy and yellowish. It is due to the rod film, dirt, and exhaust blasting against the lexan lenses. There are several polishes that are used to help and depending on how gone they are the products can even bring it back to new. I have found and have used standard scratch removers such as Maguire's Scratch X or other scratch removers. I have found using lexan cleaner and scratch remover works the best used to clean aircraft canopies. I use an electric drill with a buffing wheel and cleaned my wife's 94 shadow lenses like new. I also did it to my nephews car with excelant results. If it does not work with good results because thet are too far gone follow the link to order some new ones at a reasonable price.

Coasty

yeah, lexan cleaner on the outside did nothing, damage is on the inside bit. I wish i could say it was age, or external factors, but my civic's just as old, spent a lot more time in traffic (and has double the mileage) and its still nice and clear.

Reply to
flobert

You can try polishing them with a mild abrasive and it might help some; but if the cloudiness is all the way through the plastic, replacement is the only solution.

Reply to
Gene Poon

Could be worse. Could be one of those older Volvos with big rectangular headlights. A lot of them go REALLY bad, completely cloudy, bordering on opaque.

I saw a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix that didn't go cloudy, but instead the lenses crazed, full of cracks. If you hit it, the lenses would probably have shattered into tiny plastic cubes.

Reply to
Gene Poon

"" wrote: > the headlights on my 87 caravan are going quite cloudy inside. > they're > halogen units, not the sealed beam type. Is there any way to > 'de > cloud' them, or will i just have to replace them?

You can use the polish method Like I did on my Neon but it did?nt get rid of it all. I?m a tuner soo I bought some custom made diamond euro headlights. there alot like the headlights you see on new cars, they?re clear and have the diamond effect inside and they wont cloud up. cost about 150.00, kinda high but mine are custom made, I added some additions to the manufacturer.

Reply to
tuner98