What's this sticky tape called?

The sort that looks a bit like decorators masking tape, but used in engineering to establish what clearances lie between mating surfaces by
looking at indentations when parts are assembled?
--
Adrian C

On 10/07/2019 16:16, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Plastigauage?
--
Robin
On 10/07/2019 17:21, Robin wrote:

plastiguage is like thin plastic wire, it gets squidged flat, measuring the deformation width tells you the clearance.
I have never heard of a tape where you measure the dents !!
Adrian Caspersz explained :

I know just what you mean, but sorry I cannot think of the name..
On 10/07/2019 16:16, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Plastigauge?
https://plastigauge.co.uk/
--
Kevin

Kevin explained on 10/07/2019 :

That is the one I had in mind..

But it looks nothing like decorators masking tape
https://youtu.be/lHucfmFMXSE?t

https://youtu.be/lHucfmFMXSE?t
6
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Lead wire was an older method I have seen used to check the bearing clearance on a ships triple expansion engine. The engineer , the engine and probably the reel of the wire all dated from before the plastic age.
GH