What's this sticky tape called?

The sort that looks a bit like decorators masking tape, but used in engineering to establish what clearances lie between mating surfaces by looking at indentations when parts are assembled?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Plastigauage?

Reply to
Robin

plastiguage is like thin plastic wire, it gets squidged flat, measuring the deformation width tells you the clearance.

I have never heard of a tape where you measure the dents !!

Reply to
MrCheerful

Adrian Caspersz explained :

I know just what you mean, but sorry I cannot think of the name..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Plastigauge?

Kevin

Kevin explained on 10/07/2019 :

That is the one I had in mind..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

But it looks nothing like decorators masking tape

Graham.

Lead wire was an older method I have seen used to check the bearing clearance on a ships triple expansion engine. The engineer , the engine and probably the reel of the wire all dated from before the plastic age.

GH

Reply to
Marland