Coolant leakage through Head gasket

Advice required.

I have an old workhorse ( 1994 Seat Ibiza 1.9D) that has developed a leak through the headgasket. I have not noticed a lack of power & there is no scum in the oil to indicate that coolant is getting in there, so it appears the only place the gasket has gone is between the coolant channels & the outside. I can see the leak underneath the exhuast manifold at the back of the block.

The leak is big enough to mean that I need to refill every 250miles, this equates to twice a week.

Given that the replacement of a headgasket would cost more the car is worth - are there any short term (bodge) solutions. What effect would radweld, or similar have on this type of leak. I am only looking to get the car to next MOT when it is likely to be replaced ( 10 month away) Any suggestions?

Reply to
smallholder

You could try re-torquing the head bolts- dont slacken them first tho- you'll probably make it worse! If that doesnt work at all, then you'll have to bite the bullet and replace the H/G. Radweld / praying / miracles will not work with a leak as big as you say.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (smallholder) contains these words:

Grief - how much does a head gasket cost then?

Reply to
Guy King

Try bunging some 'Bar's leak' (better than 'Radweld' IMO) in the rad. There's a good chance it will seal a small leak like that. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Yep for small external leaks it's fine.

Reply to
chris

Very little but can you find me someone who will fit it for free?

Reply to
smallholder

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (smallholder) contains these words:

Yourself?