Cooling System fan

At about what temperature should the radiator cooling fan be activated. I am not even sure that it works (on my ancient Citroen BX GTI), but yesterday, I noticed that any stop in traffic immediately and quite rapidly increased the water temp to the 90 mark. I know that is what happens normally but the rate of the swing to 90 seemed exceptional and immediate at every stop. Once motion was established it came down to the norm of just above 60 and stayed there so long as the forward motion of the car was maintained.

There was no water shortage in the system.

I suppose I could leave it ticking over on the drive with a hot engine to see if the fan cuts in (or it boils {;o( ).

Reply to
Lofty.

Sounds overly cool to me; but then all donks and their associated cooling systems are different. On my diesel Saab the thermostat is open at 92 degrees, the first stage of the cooling fan cycles in at 100 degrees.

Reply to
DervMan

Well ideally a car should be running around 80-90C and that's what most thermostats are set to so it could be argued that yours actually runs a bit cold.

Reply to
Conor