Re: 406 HDi Exec Cooling Fan

DO you have 1 or 2 cooling fans. I suspect it is the same as the MK1 version pre facelift which uses slow speed fans at 90deg C for cooling and fast at 110 deg C for main cooling. The thermostat you have identified feeds a bitrol control relay that switches on the fan a slow or fast speed in the pre facelift model there are two fans operated in series ie. 6 volts across each for low speed and parallel 12 volts across each for fast speed.

Commom problems with this Peugeot system that is used on most of their models are:- One fan faulty One Relay faulty 3 fitted Wiring corroded at relay connectors Terminals at back of fan motor corroded.

Mike

Help! > > Temperature of my car is just below the 90' when running happily, but > if I let the engine idle for 10 minutes or more (taxi driver so this > happens quite a lot) I get the dreaded dashboard stop light flashing > at me along with an audiable beep temp reading just above 90'. amd no > cooling fan running!!! NB STOP lighs is flashing but no other lights > are on > > I have found a temperature sensor (green plug) on the left hand lower > side of the thermostat housing i.e. directly above the gearbox bell > housing > > when i removed the plug the Cooling fan kicks in quite fast so at > least I know the fan works, at the same time the temperature needle on > the dash reaches 100-105 with the plug removed, and the display in the > centre console beeps and reads "engine temperature too high". as > soon as I replace the plug the Fan Stops the temp drops back to 90' on > the dash, but the STOP warning still flashing and beeping. If I go for > a drive the temp drops back to about 88' and light stops flashing > > the connection to the sensor (green) looks good/clean > > Any Ideas? Is there more than 1 temp sensor?, dont want to cook my > engine > > -- > Posted using the
interface, at author's request> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards> Topic URL:

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

MICHAEL ROCHE

"stiffparrot" wrote: > Help! > > Temperature of my car is just below the 90' when running > happily, but if I let the engine idle for 10 minutes or more > (taxi driver so this happens quite a lot) I get the dreaded > dashboard stop light flashing at me along with an audiable > beep temp reading just above 90'. amd no cooling fan > running!!! NB STOP lighs is flashing but no other lights are > on > > I have found a temperature sensor (green plug) on the left > hand lower side of the thermostat housing i.e. directly above > the gearbox bell housing > > when i removed the plug the Cooling fan kicks in quite fast so > at least I know the fan works, at the same time the > temperature needle on the dash reaches 100-105 with the plug > removed, and the display in the centre console beeps and reads > "engine temperature too high". as soon as I replace the plug > the Fan Stops the temp drops back to 90' on the dash, but the > STOP warning still flashing and beeping. If I go for a drive > the temp drops back to about 88' and light stops flashing > > the connection to the sensor (green) looks good/clean > > Any Ideas? Is there more than 1 temp sensor?, dont want to > cook my engine

Hi, I suppose you have one multispeed fan with several relays to enable at different temperatures, and it seems that the only one to enable properly is the "seriously hot "one. According to wiring diagram ECU sends enable signal to lo speed fan relay, relay connects

12v to fan via a series resistor (quite a high wattage one). Obvious things to check are:-
  1. enable signal from ECU to relay (maybe 12v).
  2. relay clean contacts and working.
  3. low speed series resistor not o/c. Temperature sensor should be ok because the guage seems accurate. best of luck T.

Tonyh

I would suggest taking the plastic grill off the front of the vehicle and you will find two plugs on the N/S facing toward the rad. Remove the plugs (they are colour coded grey and black) and check for corrosion. Then remove the resistors they were connected to (one screw in each and a lip the other end) and check the windings for breaks and any corrosion at the connectors. Then take off the relay cover (long black vertical to the right of the resistors) and check all three relays and connections for corrosion. If corrosion is really bad anywhere you can get a wiring loom from Peugeot. Renew the relays and resistors as necessary. Check the fan connections also although this will involve removing it.

Reply to
nigel

[...]

:? Hi again, may have given you some dud info there. Just had a look at my hdi year 2002, and they use a different set up. This model did have the problem which set fire to the car, and had to have a modified fan fitted. The original fan had 12v going to "intelligent fan" which went up in flames when water got near it. This now has a relay between 12v and fan motor adjacent to battery. Dont know whether it has a lo speed motor or not. Might be an idea to check whether your unit needs a free safety hazard convertion. BTW I ran my engine for 20 mins, and couldn?t get the fan to kick in, it just stays at 88c. T

Reply to
Tonyh

"Tonyh" wrote: > :? Hi again, may have given you some dud info there. Just had > a look at my hdi year 2002, and they use a different set up. > This model did have the problem which set fire to the car, and > had to have a modified fan fitted. The original fan had 12v > going to "intelligent fan" which went up in flames when water > got near it. This now has a relay between 12v and fan motor > adjacent to battery. Dont know whether it has a lo speed motor > or not. Might be an idea to check whether your unit needs a > free safety hazard convertion. BTW I ran my engine for 20 > mins, and couldn't get the fan to kick in, it just stays at > 88c. > T

Hi Tonyh and thanks for the input,

have located a black box at the side of the battery as you pointed out and it has 3 relays and 3 x 40Amp fuses all connections look clean and ok,

removed and re-seated each relay. although I hav?nt electrically tested the relays (have a multimeter but dont know how LOL)

also substituted a different temp sensor from another 2.0HDi, tested the sensor :- 4.5k ohms at room temp and 1.5k ohms in boiling water, so as you have already said the sensor is ok.

Baffled, could it be something to do with the fact that my Air Con is?nt working? (holed condencer), since i know the fan is supposed to work with the aircon switched on.

Reply to
stiffparrot

"stiffparrot" wrote: > Hi Tonyh and thanks for the input, > > have located a black box at the side of the battery as you > pointed out and it has 3 relays and 3 x 40Amp fuses all > connections look clean and ok, > > removed and re-seated each relay. although I hav'nt > electrically tested the relays (have a multimeter but dont > know how LOL) > > also substituted a different temp sensor from another 2.0HDi, > tested the sensor :- 4.5k ohms at room temp and 1.5k ohms in > boiling water, so as you have already said the sensor is ok. > > Baffled, could it be something to do with the fact that my Air > Con is'nt working? (holed condencer), since i know the fan is > supposed to work with the aircon switched on.

the saga continues......

now I?m really confused, i have removed the front grill (one with peugeot badge on it) to gain access to the fan and on the near side of the single fan there is a long verticaly mounted black plastic box (part of the fan unit), and inside the box, wait for it....... 3 more relays 2 green ones the same rating as the ones down the side of the battery and one heavy duty blue one, after removal of the relays some of the connections were covered in green deposits/corrossion, i have cleaned them up and replaced them.

The large blue relay makes a definate click when I remove the temp. sensor plug and the fan kicks in at full speed so i assume that is working ok, there are also 2 plug connectors to the fan at the front from the relay box, theise are getting the full force of the british weather so i have cleaned up the connections on theise too.

All connected and currently idling to see what happens.... fingers crossed, will keep you informed

Reply to
stiffparrot

[...]

Hi, the 3 relay configuration fits in with my original post. The system seems to work as follows:-

relay A = speed 1 for above 90c (low speed engine cooling) relay B = speed 2 for a/c cooling. relay A+B =speed 3 for above 90c and high a/c gas pressure. relay C = max fan speed for very hot engine. Work out which reley is which!. The 2 resistors may be in the relay enclosure, if you need to check them out, but with a bit of luck the dodgy connectors will be the answer. T.

Reply to
Tonyh

"Tonyh" wrote: > Hi, the 3 relay configuration fits in with my original post. > The system seems to work as follows:- > > relay A = speed 1 for above 90c (low speed engine cooling) > relay B = speed 2 for a/c cooling. > relay A+B =speed 3 for above 90c and high a/c gas pressure. > relay C = max fan speed for very hot engine. > Work out which reley is which!. The 2 resistors may be in the > relay enclosure, if you need to check them out, but with a bit > of luck the dodgy connectors will be the answer. > T.

Jackpot!!,

Fan is now working properly, no warning lights, I can only assume that the 3 relays and fuses at the side of the battery box are redundant?, since the ones at the side of the fan are now all clicking happily,

Thank you very much for your assistance I know I wouldnt have be able to figure it out without your help,

Now to try to seal the black box from the weather.........

Thanks again

Reply to
stiffparrot

BONUS ! Have just been searching for similar prob & hopefully found the answer. My fan will not switch off, ever. I have to disconnect the battery when i park & reconnect when due to go again ! Hopefully this may work for me also. Does anything break when grille/black cover is remeved ?

James

Reply to
Juper Wort