Corsa cutting out

I have a 99 V-reg 1.6 16v Corsa sport. A few months ago the head gasket went. Since this was replaced it has been cutting out when braking and gets worse once the car has warmed up. it is also running generally quite rough and when I am stationary it hunts quite a lot. I have had a diagnostics test done on it and it tells me that it is the lambda sensor that is faulty. I have replaced this twice and both times it seemed to be fine for a couple of miles but then went back to cutting out a lot. I have asked what could be wrong at a Vauxhall dealership and they have been no help. From what I have read on here, it could be the Air Idle Valve. I can't find much info on this. Can anyone send me any good links that show me a picture of what it looks like and where abouts is it? Also if anyone has any other recommendations, i would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance, Crookie.

Reply to
crookie74

Sound's likejob wasn't done properly when replacing head gasket.

Reply to
Doug

From the running rough symptoms, either its misfiring (does it run rough all the time or just at idle?) or more likely you have a inlet air leak and its running lean. This engine has literally miles of inlet trunking post air mass meter and leaks are pretty common and a nightmare to find as you cant run the engine with the trunking off and cant get at it to look for leaks with it in place!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Check your vacuum hose, from the brake servo to the inlet manifold.

That would be my 1st start.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Was the Head Gasket Job Done Correctly ?. The lambda sensor supposed fault (which turns out not to be the sensor itself) combined with the rough running and cutting out virtually confirms that you have a mixture or combustion problem. The main reasons for this are lekely to be a. An air leak. b. Incorrect combustion - e.g. gasses leaking from one cylinder to another (was the head warped or did it need to be skimmed ?) or c. valve timing out one tooth. I have to agree with Doug , head gasket job is likely to be the culprit - after all nothing else has changed has it ? Regards Mike

Reply to
Mike

Thanks for all your help so far. Here are some more details of the problem.

A lot of the time the car appears to run very well indeed. When driving, the car drives very smoothly. When left to idle it can also run very smoothly, until something changes such as revving the engine. Then the 'hunting' starts and it may stall.

Whilst idling and 'hunting' we have just noticed that there is another noise which we had not noticed before. The 'hunting' is an increasing and decreasing of revs cylically. During this cycle, at exactly the same point there is a noise, a sort of 'psst'. It is quite short and not very loud, and could be likened to a short burst on a bicycle pump. It is possible that the noise is that of a valve sticking and unsticking? I must stress that the noise only occurs when the engine is running badly and/or 'hunting'.

Also the head was warped and was skimmed.

Thanks again, Crookie

Reply to
crookie74