Key Code

Help I am feeling stuffed......I have a punto 1996 55sx, 1108cc, it owes me nothing but has run well for three years ...other week on M6, the cam belt snapped and tow folk said it probably damaged my engine badly. As I gave it a few start attempts on hardshoulder. A pal from work knowing I was skint £250 two cost ! gave me name of a mechanic who was cheap, he took a look, then agreed to replace engine and clutch. The work was done this weekend. The engine is in, the car is not starting. The Key Code orange button on the dash is lit all the time So he is having no joy at all. I provided mechanic with red key' to try last night and it did not solve the problem. I have asked if he checked fuses which he has. I asked if he had taken out ECU ? or messed with it, he said nope...I checked and he did take off battery first, before removing engine, then charged battery off his own car, but problem is still there. Unfortunately it is not doing the trick ). Mechanic tells me he has checked all earthing on the engine ( not sure what that means ) and it is fine. so now he is baffled...He also seems to have given up, I am concerned as I can see he has run out of ideas , and he just wants paying for the work he has done and to tow the car off his drive and leave it outside my road ...leaving me to try and sort out. I literally had to empty my piggy bank for this work to be done. Is there anything else he should be trying ? for example when I gave him the Red Key, is it as simple as putting in and turning the key in the ignition, or is there a few steps like like tapping the brake etc ? I did read something good while back but I could just be nuts Please do throw every bit of advice at me so I can get him to try out ....

Reply to
nettypit

Not sure if I know what your specific problem is but the following info may help.

The Fiat Code I system has three basic components. The Key, a Key Control Unit and the Engine ECU. All three units have to be in agreement that the 'code' is correct. In your case you have the original key, I very much doubt the Key Control Unit has been replaced and that just leaves the engine ECU.

I suspect that the mechanic may have done a complete engine replacement, with the donor engine ECU attached and thus you now have only two of the three partners agreeing to start the engine. Check with your mechanic about where is your ORIGINAL ECU. I just hope that it has not been skipped with your old engine. If it has then things get expensive and complicated. One some, possible all Puntos the ECU is attached to the engine. This is certainly true on the HGT.

A suggestion. Go and see your mechanic with a witness. Ask sensible question like what he did, what about your old ECU etc. If it transpires that he replaced the engine complete with ECU and has since then ditched your ECU then he is basically admitting his negligence and he is potentially liable for the cost od replacing your and keys.

Just in case ACT QUICKLY. YOU NEED YOU ORIGINAL ECU ASAP.

Nick /////

Reply to
Nick /////

The other intriguing thing of course is that the 1108cc fire engine is supposed to be one of the lucky ones where the valves do not hit the pistons when the cambelt goes. Why was the engine replaced at all? David.

Reply to
davidfarrant

The 1108 Fire engine is designed to be a 'safe' engine, in that the clearance between the valves and pistons is enough to avoid a meeting should the belt snap.and if the belt had snapped you would not be able to get it started,

Reply to
peterdg

Reply to
jason ashworth

Hi Jason

I normally try to answer questions here but have a question for you re: Croma (2005) key / emergency PIN.

Does the Fiat Croma retain the Emergency PIN via throttle pedal. Fiat say not but I have the PIN (but have not had time to wrap the key in foil and test the procedure.

Also with the Fiat Code II system what is all fuss/procedure for programming new keys into the system? Something about have to purchase a key code card before new keys can be programmed. How does this system work?

Nick /////

Reply to
Nick /////