CORsaaaaaaaaaaaaaa follow up

Following long drawn out problems with a Corsa 1.0 ltr Tim Wrote

******************************************************** Right. Put the genuine plugs back in first, dont bollox around with snake oil multi pronged plugs etc etc, if the manurfacturer thought it needed them, it would have fitted em. You can get all sorts of problems of stray HT and back EMF being created which is upsetting the ecu, so rule this out first.

You have correctly checked items first on the list that would likely give this problem that I would have- i.e. the Cat and then the EGR valve, but did you also check the rest of the exhaust for bits of old cat or other obstruction eg baffles collapsed. Drop the pipe off aft of the cat and go for a short test drive (embarressing if you dont live in the country!)

I would then check very carefully the wiring, with particular attention to the screening connections (both ends) of the MAF, CAS, CPS, and the routing thereof near the coil pack- basically where ht could be induced into one of these cables and upset the ECU.

If all of this checks out then disconnect the MAF and go for a drive. The MIL will be lit constantly, but if the car drives any better then the MAF is at fault. Its usually the diesel MAF's that go faulty on Vx cars but petrol ones occasionally go to.

Tim..

Following your Advice I removed MAF plug (Mass Air Flow sensor)

Immediate improvement in drive. No pull back when pulling up hill etc.etc. still a bit poor in low pulling away otherwise 1000 percent improved ( Must Be The MAF)

Only problem now is

1 where do i get a cheap one they are priced at wait for it £234.00 +vat ( for a piece of what ?)

2 Is there a way to test the existing one ( lot of money wasted if i'm wrong)

3 Is it possible to repair the one i have If not why not.
Reply to
CapStick

Try

No, not practically.

No.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Did you try putting standard OEM plugs back in?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yes i did this before pulling off the MAF

I also as advised dropped the Exhaust aft of the Cat both to no avail

I have to say that the parts of the MAF i can see look perfect. but i think the pins that will be coked or whatever are out of view behind another steel pin.

Lot of pennies if im wrong. I shall have to find someone with a corsa 1.0 or 1.2 to allow me to try theirs ( That May be dificult)

Reply to
CapStick

hello, check this site

it tells you how to clean your MAF i tried this on a ford mondeo 2.5ghia x when i was having trouble with the autobox gear change,i know it sounds strange but it worked both of the small thin wires were really coked up! and the cost was just £5 {carb cleaner}+ 1 hour of my time hope this helps mark.w

Reply to
mark williams

In article , CapStick writes

[MAF sensor]

If it's a plastic tube with a mesh at both ends and you can see a suspended wire inside (i.e. it's a hot wire type), try squirting some carb cleaner through it.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Whilst that did not refer to a corsa

It was most informative and helpful thanks a million.

Reply to
CapStick

Indeed. Think I'll try that on my Escort which is using loadsa fuel for no apparent reason. Faulty MAF has been suggested...

Rob

Reply to
Robert R News

I was Advised similar elsewhere and it stated that on most cars evything but the MAF Sensor gets serviced The MAF has a hot wire in it and pieces of pollen or small debri pass through the mesh and upon striking the hot wire burn up and some small coking occurs this is what can lead to a lot of misdiagnosed fault finding by garages (doh !) it only takes a small amount of coking to start degrading performance of the engine

The Situation so far. Mass Air Flow Sensor from main dealer (Maynes Garage RedRuth) was £264+vat When ringing local Mill Auto Supplies( Edmunds Walker As Was) they initially said it was a Main Dealer part. However i took the part into them and showed them the Bosch Part No One phonecall later by them to their Bosch Supplier. Mass Air Flow Sensor From Mill Auto = £165.00+Vat This is a saving of roughly £115.00 once vat is added to both prices I then tried this at a local AutoSpark Place Cornish Electro Diesel ( CED ) they were £160+VAT another £5.00 + vat Saving

But the best was that after some ringing round I found a second hand spare. from a breaker for the Princely Sum Of £10.00 + VAT ( I dont yet if it works yet , will let all know Tommorow) If It Does You Should be able to see my grin in the Outer Hebrides. Thanks to all for their Advice So Far.

Reply to
CapStick

Did you see me Grin No where in any manual i have read does it say clean the MAF as a part of servicing or troubleshooting for that matter Haynes fails again

The new (second hand part) has transformed the car to what it was six months ago. I believe because of the failure of the MAF its had New EGR valve ,New Air Inlet Valve and New Plugs.

It may also have been responsible for having to have a new Cat because of failed emissions test. (not sure on this one)

I have since discovered that all i really had to do was very carefully spray clean the MAF with carb cleaner and i would not have needed the new (second hand) part either.

Before i asked on the Ngs i knew very little about Engine Management Systems. Their affect on the performance of an engine, should the peripherals of the system break down or become clogged etc .

I am through these NGs a lot wiser now and i thank all here.

I have made sure to finish off this thread so it makes it intact to the Archives for the future use of some other budding Amateur Mechanic.

I would also add this link that was so useful and explanatory It just goes to show that it doesn't necessarily have to be the same model of car just to get an answer to what you are looking for. How to clean your MAF

Finally special thanks to TIM for advising removal of MAF to test this for fault in first place.

Reply to
CapStick

probs with mondeo autobox ,i done what it stated and cleaned me maf and it was a bloody brill improvement! anyone interested in cars in general should have a look at the scoripio site it really is professional but friendly cheers, mark.w

Reply to
mark williams