Fiesta missfire ?????????

Just got in and my wife said (as they do) "car's buggered".

Went out to look in the last bit of daylight and found that No's 3 and

4 cylinders are not firing, counting No 1 at the camshaft end.

My assumpsion is that the coil pack has shit itself, but it seems a bit early as it's only 25000 miles on an O2 reg, in past experience these things dont normally fail untill later in life !

Anybody know if this is a common problem, or if there could be something else causing it??

I would welcome someone elses opinion before I pop into town in the morning and buy a new coil pack.

It's a 1400cc zetec engine.

Thanks for reading, all opinions welcome.

Slim

Reply to
Slim

Coil pack first if 3&4 are not firing *at all*. Chances of both HT leads going down simoultaneously without warning are extremely unlikely..

Dont drive or even run for any length of time with 2 pots worth of fuel going into the cat.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

Wouldn't drive the thing for any length of time even if it was working fine.

It's a Ford.

I did tell her "dont buy a ford" but do they listen ? as long as the colour is right !

Regards Slim

Reply to
Slim

remove the plug leads and inspect,wot your looking for is brown water marks around the plug leads and spark plug chamber,after a long run this chamber may fill up with coolant. if this is spotted then it needs 2 core plugs (in the top of the cyl head)and maybe 4 plugs(they'll be heavilly corroded) ive done a few on this engine good luck davey

Reply to
ford_technical_

Thanks Davy.

I did strip out leads and plugs just to check for anything funny, (didn't know about the core plug problem)

Bought a coil pack =A353 + vat and all is now sorted.

Regards Slim

Reply to
Slim