Creaking suspension.

Hi all.

My "new" 2003 TDCI Mondeo is making quite a strange noise.

At very low speed, (walking speed, not at standstill or when moving quicker), when turning the steering wheel, there's a peculiar "creaky" noise, with feedback through the steering wheel.

I've had it checked by a couple of places, because I thought that it could have some damage to the steering, but despite a pry-bar in the track end and lower wishbone, and a good heave on the rack, no slack was found.

The car steers in a perfectly straight line, and the "problem" is only at very low speed, and when quickly applying or removing power at about 50 in

4th gear - I can feel a slight "something" through the steering wheel.

I've just looked at Car Review (because of another post), and noticed that there

"Front Shock Absorbers get loose, had to be re-fastened."

"The steering clonked on take up and steering the car in a straight line on the motorway was quite a challenge."

To me, it feels like a spring isn't anchored properly, and as the steering turns or moves, it moves against something, making a noise.

It doesn't appear to be unsafe (having had it checked twice), and the car's due in for a service RSN, but anyone have any ideas?

Ta.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Smith

Gary Millar

My P-reg Mondeo did exactly this, and it developed into a slight click when the suspension unloaded on say a hump-back bridge, then a more proununced noise later on. Turned out to be a worn end on the anti-roll bar linkage - cost about £8 to source a new one.

Reply to
Chris Street

By 'peculiar creaking sound' do you mean more of a slight knock, which can felt slightly through the steering wheel?

If it is, then there was a ford Technical Service Bulletin covering it. The solution is to remove the lower steering column coupling, apply special grease to it, and re-install it and ensure that it is clamped at a set distance from either the steering rack or the coupling above it (not done one for a while, but I can find out if necessary).

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Try to isolate where the noise is coming from using a stethoscope made from a piece of plastic tube stuck in your ear.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

Bit difficult that, because it only appears when you're moving ;-)

Thanks anyway.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

It certainly does.

It's still got 18 months warranty left, so I shall book it in for the work when I get it serviced.

I take it it's not a safety critical problem?

The Bulletin reference number would be good, so I can say "There's a problem, probably ".

Thanks,

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Details Below -

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN No.43/2001 Car and Light/Medium Commercial 14.03.2002

Section: 211-04 (12)

Model: 2001 Mondeo

Markets: All

Subject: Creaking and knocking which can be felt, and sometimes heard, from the steering wheel during load changes especially at low ambient temperatures and after short term parking of the vehicle

Summary

Should a customer express concern over creaking and knocking which can be felt, and sometimes heard, from the steering wheel during load changes especially at low ambient temperatures and after short term parking of the vehicle, the probable cause is too much friction in the steering shaft length compensator and the steering shaft is incorrectly adjusted. To rectify the concern, the steering shaft should be loosened and the steering shaft bush lubricated with silicone grease. When the steering shaft is installed, the installation dimension of 70 mm for the length compensator must be maintained.

Please replace TSB 43/2001 dated 31.05.2001 with this re-issue. The Service Instructions have been extended to include all 2001 Mondeo.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Thanks very much.

My car's a 2003MY (2004 shape). Surely they would have sorted it by now?

Thanks,

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

This is ford we're talking about. All there designers are probably currently working on modifying something that's working perfectly well, so that they can save a few pence in making it, but in the process, f*** it up, so it goes wrong.

Other thing is, there is no specific model years that the TSB applies to, so it basically applies to all 2001 mondeo's (2001 being the model (ie. MK3), not the year it was built - Ford refer to the models by the year they were introduced, not by marks)

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Right. I'll have it checked out then.

Thanks again,