Steering creaking noise

Hi guys,

I have a 2002 E45 325i, 17" rims, 66500km. Recently I have started to hear some creaking noises whenever I turn the steering wheel. This happens on the first half of the steering wheel turn, that is starting at position 0 I turn 90 degrees (left or right, it does not matter) when the car is at a standstill or moving at very slow speeds. What could it be?

Notice: I started noticing these immediately after changing the tires, went from the original Continental ContiSportContact 225 (quite badly worn out) to Bridgestone Potenza S03 PP 235. Maybe I was deaf before - however I doubt it. My best guess is the problem was there, but the weak grip didn't let it pop its head out...

Mike.

Reply to
Mike

Sounds like a failing sway bar link. Jack the front of your car off the ground , motor off, steering unlocked, and grab a front tire. Turn it through the steering motion from one extreme to the other and listen, you should hear it quite clearly. Put your hand on each end of the sway bar link as you turn, you should be able to feel which end is at fault. Replacement is probably not extremely difficult, though I've not done it on an E46. Or and E45 for that matter. :-)

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

Thanks Russ, I'll give it a try ASAP as per your instructions. Hmmm... I guess E45 must have sounded better :-)

Mike.

Reply to
Mike

I had a similar problem in my e39 530dA 2002 - it was the power steering fluid beeing low. Topping up the fluid made the noice go away. Might be that?

However, it was not dependant on the positiion of the steering wheel.

** Lars
Reply to
Lars Knudsen

check to see if that 235 tire is within the design envelope for that car.

Reply to
Nicik Name