Steering creaking

Got a 1994 Seat Ibiza, 1.9 diesel, power steering...and the steering's making a loud creaking noise whenever the steering wheel's over to the left. Sounds like the door being opened on a haunted house, if you get my drift. Appears to only be doing it when the car's moving, but couldn't swear to it. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Nick Dobb

Err...sorry...I meant the other left...the one towards the offside, you know...wossname, begins with an 'R'...

(Note to self: get Pillock tattoed on forehead in mirror writing.)

Reply to
Nick Dobb

I find L and R on the backs of my hands helps, though I think I got them on the wrong wayround. That's the trouble with being dyslexic, it looks right no matter which way I look at it! Sorry not got a firm idea about the power steering problem but my Laguna used to have a noisy power steering pump that would make more racket the more load was placed on it. I suppose it could also be the driveshaft joints, have you tried driving on full lock in both LH and RH circles at slow speed and the window wound down to see if there is a clicking?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

Sounds like a bush wearing or the balljoint on it's way out.

-- Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Check the tightness of the driveshaft nuts on the hubs. Any play can give the symptoms you describe. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Cv Joint, maybe?

Reply to
mini86

In message , Nick Dobb writes

My Berlingo made the same noise, caused by a broken suspension spring.

Reply to
Keith