Current draw for running a petrol fuelled car

Resorting to abuse, another sign of a lost argument.

Reply to
Fredxx

Mate, I don't need the link to understand what it is, what impact it has and how to minimise it's effects.

Yes, I didn't say it wasn't, but 'movement' wouldn't be as effective (or predictable between vehicles) as ensuring the battery went though a complete charge cycle.

The real world where you *need* 100% out of your batteries every day you mean?

Oh, you want *me* to explain it to you? You are the one who suggests they know it ill?

No, in general, movement is nothing like as effective as the

*circulation* you get within the electrolyte in a cell though gassing, something you would actually know from the real world experience for many years running a PEV that used 8 x 6V 200Ah Crompton traction monoblocks.

But you carry on guessing what's important / right ... you (think you) know best.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Just an honest observation mate ...

Come up with anything vaguely correct and maybe I'll think again.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Of course it won't, but what you seem to have missed is Fredxx stating (factually) that 'fully charged' isn't actually a chemical / charge state, but whatever the beholder considers it to be?

Like, if I discharge a battery to 50%, *I* might then decide to call that 'fully charged'?

Yup, go figure! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It is generally accepted that with no load the terminal voltage of a Lead Acid battery is:

12.6 volts = 100% 12.5 volts = 70% 12.3 volts = 50% 11.4 volts = 20%

According to it's depth of charge.

A fully charged cell should give a terminal voltage of nearer 2.1V per cell.

Reply to
Fredxx

If you read my posts I have been clear where I have repeatedly stated that a fully charged batter is one that is at maximum capacity. It is you who has repeatedly claimed otherwise.

Given your other posts, that is what you have been saying, maybe not 50% but you were happy to accept 90% as being fully charged. I'm pleased you've finally changed your mind.

Reply to
Fredxx

What? You are on a wind-up aren't you!

Cite?

What may be confusing you (more than usual I mean) is that I was saying *you* are stating that basically any charge state you fancy can be considered 'fully charged! That means in your fantasy world, anything can be considered anything!

Bwhahahaha, you *are* funny!

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

What you fail to mention is that those readings would be taken some 24 hours after being taken off charge. If they were measured on the SLI battery of a modern car, the chances are the car would have discharged that below 100%.

Taken just after running and they would be higher and would of course have to be higher to even impart any charge into the battery.

But hey, why are you now quoting what voltage would indicate 100% charge after saying there was no such thing as a fully charged battery?

Cheers, T i m

.
Reply to
T i m

Quite the opposite, you must be going senile. Have another look at my posts.

Reply to
Fredxx

I never said anything of the sort. You are going senile.

Reply to
Fredxx

Ok ...

You: "I gather, deviously so. Fully charged can mean so many things to different people given its a level that can never actually be reached."

WTF ... "that can never actually be reached". eg, No (LA) battery can ever be fully charged ... YOUR WORDS!

You: "Then you will understand that fully charged will mean different things to different people."

To name but two.

Happy squirming!

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Do you understand the simple concept of asymptotic?

Are you the sort of person who believes it is possible for a mass to travel at the speed of light?

Only an idiot would say, "I'd consider a battery fully charged when my quality smart charger tells me it is". Jeez!

Reply to
Fredxx

Yes, so did you make those statements or not?

You are whisky dave / Rod and I claim my £5.

Is that right?

So, if we are still in this real world you regularly elude to but don't seem to inhabit yourself, why would a quality smart charger, indicating a battery was fully charged, be doing other than indicating the fact in a RW sense?

Not some of your fantasy squirming out of it strawman BS?

Tell you what, best you don't bother as it's just boring now and you know what they say about wrestling pigs ...

Have a good life on planet Fredxx!

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Do you understand the simple concept of asymptotic?

So that's a 'no' then.

Isn't that what you said?

Reply to
Fredxx

From your post it seemed it might help your understanding.

Perhaps you should have been more clear.

Or in your case when your charger says so.

You're the one making the 'always' claim.

Most people who run a PEV do so in ignorance of what 'fully charged' means. From your posts it seems you are too.

I never said I know best, but if you know best by saying "I'd consider a battery fully charged when my quality smart charger tells me it is", then so be it.

Reply to
Fredxx

Agreed, but that disingenuous little strawman is *NOTHING* to do with charge levels on a LA battery (especially one used in a traction environment for reasons I have already explained).

Only because you are so blinkered, because of how left brained you are for you to consider anyone who isn't you might actually know what they are talking about.

I *know* you can set the maximum charge level on some PEV's along with the generally preset maximum discharge level and you do that to prolong the life of the cells, but the upper level is often elected as it will affect the range.

Because it's a scientific fact (for a RW situation) for a the LA batteries we were talking about in this thread.

When I used to race RC electric cars we were on the threshold of battery capacity and so we didn't have the 'luxury' of surplus power so would knowingly hammer the batteries to get the absolute most out of them at the cost of their lifespan.

It was the *exact* same circumstance when I was personally racing the electric motorcycle I designed and built.

The LA batteries I use on my electric outboard are not discharged below 50% capacity because they are expensive and I would like them to last. They are also not recharged 'too often' when on standby but are charged to 100% (as understood by most intelligent people) every 6+ months or so.

I wouldn't however set the terminal voltage on my Li cell charger to the maximum for each of the chemistries as they become less stable at those limits. Therefore, they wouldn't be at 100% possible charge but at 100% of what would be considered the maximum RW / safe charge.

So, in the RW I am still right and you are still squirming around desperate to prove your BS weirdo approach is right (and still failing miserably).

1/10 You must try harder (but best (for you) if you don't try here).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m