Daft question - value of a door?

So, I bought the Astra. 80K miles looks accurate from history, condition etc, and I got it up on ramps and found new brake pipes, good CV boots, etc. Aligned, pair of new tyres, and oil change, and it drives nicely too.

I'm left with a dented door, though. I found a pair of white Astra estates breaking on eBay, and figured it's worth asking about the door. I am assuming the door is a case of "remove door pins, checkstrap, wires, replace door, adjust if it's not lining up right" - but what's a door worth these days?

Back in the day, I used to pay about £40-60 typically for a door from the scrappy. £40 would be for something common like a 205. £60 would be if it had electric windows etc. intact.

The dents don't affect the door, and it becomes a 'less cheap' car if I spend money on the door, but is it reasonable to hope to get a door for a recent car for about £40? All our local scrappies have closed due to the lucrative insurance storage charges and costs of running a breaker's yard.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Off Ebay? Definitely for something like an Astra/Mondeo/Vectra. It usually costs more to collect it than the end price.

Reply to
Conor

Very true i just finished in a breakers as the enviroment regulations are forcing out,still another story. I would say £15quid roughly with glass etc/door card.

But like myself and allready stated,i have found a door for my car on ebay,only £10 trouble is its 200miles away and couriour wise probably get it knackered so picking it up so it ends up a 50 60 quid door.

Reply to
simon

I got a rear door the right colour from a big breakers up the hill out of Bonnybridge near Falkirk for my '98 Peugeot 306 for £35. It's the biggest one locally I've been to that you can still walk around. This from yell.co.uk:

Allparts Autosalvage Hillview Rd, High Bonnybridge, Bonnybridge, Stirlingshire FK4 2ER Tel: 01324 819009

I unbolted the hinges and checkstrap and unplugged the multiplug in the jamb as you said. Electrically, mine only had central locking to worry about. Refitting was reverse of removal. There's a knack to lining it up right which I don't have.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Actually, that's dead handy anyway - the original car I posted about has been sold, but I'd still like to find a cheap door. The Astra is quite nice, really, for a crappy car, and it'd look very respectable (for a white Estate that I keep forgetting isn't a works van).

Some people have suggested that the cam followers on the 1.7TD (I'm told not Isuzu) are not good and I can expect to replace them before 100K miles!

Richard

Reply to
RichardK