Life Of Front Discs and cost of MOT pass

Got my R Reg Mondeo MOT'd today and it failed on a broken front spring ( again) testimony to the state of the nations roads . An advisory also commented on the front discs being worn . Anyway the one man garage who arranges the MOT's changed the spring and discs and pads and he showed me them after and I'd agree that they needed replaced. I suggested the discs might be the originals ( 54 thou miles) but he said that Ford original discs were always a problem to get off but these came off easily so he thought they were replacements. Any way the cost was £243 (Parts £104: Lab £85: MOT £54) . Does that sound reasonable?..I thought it was ok.

Another advisory was the front wishbone bushes so that'll be on the back burner for a wee while.

Reply to
the realfictitious

You don't say where you are but it seems not too bad. A wee bit steep for round here (near Ashbourne, Derbyshire) but probably very cheap for London.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Glasgow City ....

Reply to
the realfictitious

In 2003 my Focus discs cost me £140 all-in, at a comparable garage; original discs and shoes were used. I am in Midlothian.

I think you are in the ballpark.

Kostas

Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis

Not really/ Mondeos seem terrible for broken springs. Probably a design fault.

Reply to
Episode One

Apart from anything else it seems almost as age related as mileage related.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

£60 for a set of mediocre discs and pads, about £30 tops for a spring so not massively far off.

Front wishbones are dirt cheap. AFAIR, I paid under £40 for a pair of complete arms the last set I did. You can do it yourself - there's nothing scary.

Reply to
Conor

My 97 Honda Accord is still on its original front discs at 180,000 miles. The rears have just been changed for the first time. They make the OEM discs pretty thick!

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

I've just replaced front springs and discs/pads on my dad's MK3. Springs were £30 each from local motor factors, discs/pads were Mintex and £52.45 delivered on ebay.

I hate winding springs up.....

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

I remove the struts and take them to my friendly garage who charges me £10 a pair to swap the springs over.

Reply to
Conor

Hydraulic spring compressors are your friend :-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

After the second one broke on my MK2 Mondeo I asked to have a look at it in the workshop, and an indignant fitter showed me the break, close to the top of the spring.

I asked if the tank-trapped roads of Tameside (road humps everywhere) had anything to do with two breakages in about 15 months, and they shrugged and said "Wear and tear".

I swapped it for a MK3 soon after, and upset my daughter by not offering it to her.

Reply to
Gordon H