desicions desicions........

i am compsing thiswith 2 less digits than normal due to having a few unuseable due to whiplash this was a result of some member of the general public deciding that they were unable to judge speed and distance properly and used the rear of the granny to stop whilst performing a turn in a dual carriageway this morning

i am now left with a granada with a bent rear bumper which is pushed out on either side, a broken drivers side rear light cluster, a bent rear panel, a bent quater panel, a rear drivers door that doesn't open properly AND a boot floor thats got more ripples than an ice cream of the rasberry variety

so

what do i do?

the obvious answer would be to claim off the insurance, phone some compensation vultures and get a shed load of wonga whilst, at the same time, keeping the car and slotting the engine into my now defunct sierra with the dodgy engine/gearbox combo as of last september

or i could break it and flog it off on ebay

or i could just drive round as it is and put a new bumper on it, pull the bent out and let it go on for a few more miles before breaking it

or just buy another car

what would you do?

Reply to
dojj

Keep the engine and break it on ebay. If you claim, put it through a claims management company so you actually get what the car's worth when they write it off (which they will).

Reply to
Doki

OK, this can hurt, and the effects can go on permanently. I still can't=20 lean my head backwards after being OSR shunted by a HGV as it changed=20 lane in 2000 (2001?) due to a pain that kicks in within 3 seconds, and=20 side-to-side movement is restricted quite heavily at times (at a guess I=20 still suffer at least a week of pain per month from it).

Depending on how it affects you, you may find you're either no worse=20 tomorrow (thank your lucky stars if thats the case), or in yet more pain=20

- I think the adrenaline in your system following the prang masks the=20 symptoms for the first few hours.

Get to the docs in the morning if possible (we were lucky, we actually=20 live opposite the surgery !) - if not, it might be worth notifying them=20 and asking for a home visit depending on how rough you're feeling.

One weird sensation that quite unlike any other symptoms I had went on=20 for months afterwards - it was like someone flicking water at the back=20 of my hand...

You should probably inform the insurance anyway as part of their T&Cs -=20 to avoid it might give them cause to invalidate the policy.

I think I got =A33.5k, missus got similar. If you have legal cover as part= =20 of the insurance, they would normally progress the claim on your behalf.=20 In our case, the other partys' firm denied any of their drivers had been=20 involved in any accident for almost SIX MONTHS and i'm sure the repeated=20 legal letters c/o the legal cover had something to do with them finally=20 admitting it. Your house insurance may also include legal cover if you=20 have none on the car insurance.

Take photos of the site if you are able from several angles (or get=20 someone else to do it for you) - make some diary entries about where it=20 hurts, what you are limited in doing, shop online so someone else carts=20 the groceries around for you (we would have starved after our prang if=20 it hadn't have been for online shopping - it took me two weeks before I=20 was able to get dressed by myself, let alone get out and about !)

Make a note to yourself to always carry a disposable camera in the car=20 for instances like this to get the scene as it happened, and make sure=20 you get a picture of the other driver and any passengers - you'll be=20 surprised how many "passengers" they can get into the back of a car they=20 were alone in...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

i'm still suffering from the effects of being run over in 1991 and this has agrivated an old shoulder injury (which was playing up in the past few weeks anyhow as i've been trying to keep it moving when it's been locking up on my, imagine will smith's excersice regime in the mornings in I Robot and you have some idea of what i'm on about :) )

this morning it's spread from just below my right ear and my thumb and fore finger on the my right hand to lower down towards my hsoulder blade (which i broke in said car accident in 1991) and also the plam of my hand and a bit of my forearm too :(

hospital doc said that if it was no better by monday morning that i hsould see my GP sounds good to me

it feels like i'm wearing gloves, filled with water, if that makes sence?

done that this morning because i've lost the bit of paper the bloke gave me, i should have called him last night to tell him that the number i gave him was my works number and i'm on holiday so my works phone isn't with me, but no paperwork

i broke my wrist in kwik fit and got =A38.5k, took 3 years though and i still don't have full movement in my left wrist the compo vultures have already called to say they are arranging all sorts of stuff and are going to give me a courtesy car (well my old man as it's his policy) and collect the granada, i'll also have the salvage rights to it too :)

i've been to work yesterday and the best part of 100 people have seen the state of the car and the state of me, so it's not lke they think i'm faking it :) but i've also had my agency on the phone this morning asking me if i can work for the next 4 days and i've have to turn it down as i can't drive a coach with a dicky shoulder and numb fingers :(

i was a witness for some guy a few months back when there was a car that hit him there were only 2 people in the car when the accident happend, but 2 more "arrived" before the pilice did now there are 5 of them claiming injuries

and thank god for mobile phones with camera's in them :) :) :)

Reply to
dojj

"Colin Wilson" wrote

Make a note to yourself to always carry a disposable camera in the car for instances like this to get the scene as it happened, and make sure you get a picture of the other driver and any passengers - you'll be surprised how many "passengers" they can get into the back of a car they were alone in...

These day of course many mobile phones have cameras. These can also be useful for this sort of situation.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

The message from "Tony Brett" contains these words:

I wonder how long it'll be before you can get a four camera system that looks out of each corner, feeding to a hard disk lurking in the dashboard. You'd only need to keep the last half hour or so, writing over anything older.

Reply to
Guy King

If I thought the police actually gave a rats ass i`d be tempted to do it too.

As it happens, the kids who drove into the back of me a few weeks ago elicited this response from the police:

"there's no registered owner, we want all *YOUR* paperwork to take a report, it'll take an hour or so, and there's no-one here to do it - don't know when there will be..."

Reply to
Colin Wilson

the same story I had woman gets run over at a zebra crossing buy a stolen car I gave chase while my dad was talking to dibble on the mobile driver was driving like a looney I get the reg went back to the site told plod what happened (as the only witness) copper gave ME a producer I mean WTF?!?!?!?!

Reply to
dojj

I don't think you should have bought the stolen car, even in the heat of the moment. They'll do you for receiving.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

It's simple - A proper criminal, deliberately and willfully committing a criminal act, requires effort to catch.

A "normal" person however may have forgotten to check paperwork properly, or has let the MOT expire due to oversight.

Which one's the easier target then, the one who buggers off and takes effort to track down, or the one who unwittingly has committed an offence, and offers themselves on a plate from the copper's perspective?

Reply to
Stuffed

and you wonder why the police don't get any help when they have big crimes to solve............

Reply to
dojj