device to read car OBC - opinion? (ELM327)

came across this...

anyone have/use one? Is it any good - ie does it do what it says it does? The single review says something about it not being a "real" ELM327. If it works though, does that matter? Maybe there's a uk one that's cheaper? (... optimist) :-)

Reply to
dave

I bought one of these and could not get it to work, sadly I never got around to returning it, maybe one day I'll have another play, since reading the comments it can be difficult to get to work perhaps I just need to persevere.

I use a very simple 'launch' code reader that just plugs in and reads and clears, it does for most vehicles. For anything else I borrow a Launch x431 that does just about anything but costs 3k

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Ah well. Thanks anyway. I may post elsewhere see if anyone has got one to work with any success, If so followup here. Seems a neat bit of kit. cheers.

Reply to
dave

I would like to know the tricks to get it to work, please let me know if you find any decent info.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I have one on my eeepc but have not yet got around to testing it :(

Reply to
marpate1

In message , dave writes

I bought what purports to be an ELM327 on new eBay.

I found a problem when I connected it to my laptop, the COM port number for its USB connection was >9 & the supplied software could not cope with that. I imagine the problem might have been caused by using a USB modem in the past.

Since I sorted out the COM port number, everything has been fine & I'm very happy with box.

Regards

Reply to
Dave English

In message , dave writes

I got a very similar one off Ebay a year or two ago - works OK, and it costs less than taking it down to the local garage to have it read

Reply to
leo