Diesel

Any of you know whats special about a common rail diesel - I dont; but would like to, as apparently there is one in my rover ?

Reply to
Dr Wu

"Dr Wu" wrote

It's a bit complicated but basically it explains a type of engine where the pressurisation of the fuel system and the injection are electronically separated as opposed to being mechanically linked. This makes the engine very efficient and reduces emissions.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

The message from "Dr Wu" contains these words:

Old diesels had a pump which shoved a bit of fuel down a pipe for each cylinder as it needed it. The amount and timing was controlled by a mechanical system which actually offered surprisingly little control - the shape of the pulse of fuel, for example wasn't variable, it was fixed by the shape of the cam which drove the pump barrel.

Common rail has no individual pump but instead has a single extremely high pressure fuel line running to electronically controlled injectors, one for each cylinder. Under control from the computer these tap fuel from the supply and can modulate the rate of delivery very much more cleverly than before. This makes them more efficient and allows other tricks to increase smoothness etc.

You could have a look at the Wikipedia...

Guy King

What model Rover, just out of interest?

Reply to
DervMan

My bet is a 75. The CR engines are all from BMW.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Doesn't the insanely high injection pressure mean that direct injection works a lot better too, which is more efficient than indirect?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Reply to
Dr Wu

The message from "Clive George" contains these words:

That too.

Reply to
Guy King

Dr Wu ( snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Don't think that's common rail.

Reply to
Adrian

I didn't think they fitted the BMW engine in those. Did they? If not then it is not fitted with common rail injection although it certainly will be direct injection and a good enough engine even if less refined than the CR units.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Reply to
Dr Wu

The message from "Dr Wu" contains these words:

That's nothing, even my Montego engine did more than that. My Audi's done 1/4 million miles and still runs beautifully and doesn't use any oil.

Reply to
Guy King

That's my ultimate point but I was waiting and seeing for the time being.

Reply to
DervMan

Longevity not make one great, and at 150,000 miles, it's barely run in!

Reply to
DervMan

I know I've posted this link before Guy, but even a 16 year-old Astra with the 'old' GM 1.7 diesel engine, appears to still be running quite smoothly after half a million miles with regular basic servicing.

Ivan

I know of one recently sold with a quarter million and still running like a watch.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

It could also be near shagged.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

My 15 year-old Astra 1.7D runs brilliantly, it has 140,000 miles on the clock, and is very economical to run and maintain, although nuff said about the (still) weeping fuel pump!

Reply to
Ivan

The message from "Ivan" contains these words:

I reckon a good part of it is mechanical sympathy along with regular oil changes.

Reply to
Guy King

Along with regular physical inspections and a dollop of luck.

Huw

Reply to
Huw