Any of you do diesel?

Been trying to figure out a hard/no start problem on one of my pickups. It's an '88 F-250 with the 7.3L Diesel (no turbo).

Basically, the thing simply will not start by cranking the starter. The starter sounds fine, RPM seems about the same it always was, but just no start. There is enough battery power to crank for a *long* time.

If I pull the truck, or roll down hill at 5mph and ease out the clutch in

3rd gear, it starts right up and runs fine. No noticeable power loss or other problems.

I have checked/replaced all of the glow-plugs and also installed a new set of injectors. No help.

Any thoughts or experience to share about this beast?

Reply to
TomO

Check to make sure the glow plugs are actuly getting power. Not sure if the Fords are the same as VW, but the glow plug light is just on a timer, it's not on the actul glow plug line, I had my fuse go, and the light cycled, but the glow plugs never went on. Roll it down the hill and it would get going fast enough to flash up.

~Brian

Reply to
<not

The glow plug relay on these are notorious for not working. I have replaced mine three times in 150k.

Dan

Reply to
Lewis11561

Yep, been all over the glow plug circuit, verified that they get power and that they do get hot. Verified that the fuel shut off valve is dis-engaging etc. No joy.

Reply to
TomO