Diesel injector timing out? (Focus)

A couple of weeks ago I had a new set of injectors fitted to my Focus

2.0 TDCi under warranty. This was to cure an odd warm start problem and it seems to have done that.

Now I seem to be getting a pronounced but brief knocking while accelerating lightly through 2000 rpm. I only notice it in first and second gear and I can't seem to reproduce it all the time.

Is this likely to be a characteristic or a fault with the new injectors? Could it be the injection timing is out? I'm not sure that the timing would have been disturbed during the injector change but until I speak to the technician, I can't be sure. He had to do a lot of diagnostic work before Ford would let him replace the injectors.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

AFAIK, you can't alter the timing without reprogramming the ECU. Could be that the ECU hasn't been programmed with the new injector codes properly.

Reply to
Conor

Its possible. The EEC was reprogrammed before the injectors were change in an effort to cure the original problem but I don't know if it was done afterwards.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

When the new injectors were fitted, the new injector calibration codes would of had to of been changed in the ECU.

Either they've not put the right code in, or one of the new injectors is faulty.

Reply to
moray

In message , moray writes

Well I spoke to the technician this morning. He said that the injectors were "plug & play" on my model. Later models needed coding but with mine you just had to order the correct injectors and fit them.

He admitted himself that he thought the car was noisier after he fitted them but they are a modified injector with different properties so that may account for that.

More worrying is that on Tuesday night, the original "hot starting" problem happened again. The modified injectors were supposed to cure that. They cost circa £1000 although I wasn't footing the bill. I haven't been able to reproduce the fault again but the technician isn't confident and expects to see me back again soon.

Reply to
Paul Giverin