Focus Handling: Mk1 vs Mk2

I've had a Mk1 Focus TDCi Zetec for a few years and found it to be a particularly good handling motor, with good performance to boot.

I was thinking about getting a Mk2 Focus (or even the latest 2008 facelift "Mk3"), however having recently driven a couple of Mk2s I'm having second theoughts.

The handling doesnt feel aywhere near as sharp, plus the performance in the

1.8 petrol versions I tried was less than impressive...

Anyone care to put a good word in for the Mk2 car - esp the 2.0 TDCi model?

TIA

Andy

Reply to
Acedrew

I've had a 2.0 TDCi Titanium for 18 months; it replaced a 1.8 TDCi Ghia which I liked a lot. The Mk2 feels heavier, more solid, and not quite as sharp as the Mk1 was. On the other hand the extra grunt from the 2.0 engine more than makes up for it, and it is still a very engaging drive. Also the 2.0 motor is much more flexible and doesn't threaten to stall at the slightest provocation, which was my major complaint about the 1.8.

The fuel consumption is heavier though. I was regularly getting well over

50mpg from the 1.8, and the 2.0 only manages somewhere in the low 40's over the same kinds of journeys.

The Titanium trim has been a disappointment too. I was hoping and expecting it to be at least as well equipped as the Ghia, but less codgerly. It has some nice additions like automatic lights and wipers, but it lacks the climate control AC and doesn't even have a low screenwash warning light, which is just miserly.

I'm now wondering what my next car will be. Somehow I don't think it will be three Focusses in a row.

Mark Scott

Reply to
Mark Scott

Thanks Mark.

Reply to
Acedrew

In message , Acedrew writes

I had a 1.6 Mk1 for 8 years (we only sold it three weeks ago). I also have a Mk2 2.0 TDCi Ghia which I've had for just over a year. The Mk2 is better in most respects. IMO the handling of the Mk2 is better. The brakes on my Mk2 are much better although admittedly my Mk2 has discs all round. It would be unfair to compare the 1.6 petrol engine to the

2.0 TDCi but the 2.0 is a joy to drive.
Reply to
Paul Giverin

In alt.autos.ford.focus Paul Giverin :

Have a 99' Focus 2l petrol and have to admint, though it has discs all around + ABS, breaks aren't that great, especially on highways at fast speeds they could do better. Mine has a Sachs shocks and spring kit (lowered), found the original handling much to soft up to scaring on the highway.

Also, IMHO it looks more as it should:

With this modifications it is a pleasure driving, the 2l engine runs pretty well. Had only driven a 1.6l mk2 petrol Focus once and it was a tremendous difference how you needed to push it to get along. Still the handling was not on par, somehow sluggish compared to my old Focus.

Reply to
Michael Heiming

I am also thinking of coming back to owning a Focus, as I still miss my Mk1 and an Xtrail just doesnt do the around corners on rails thing very well...

My mileage doesnt warrant a diesel, and given that the 1.8 would be the bare minimum I would consider -given the mk2 is quite alot heavier- and that the

2.0 petrol apparently is virtually no worse on fuel than the 1.8 and its CO2 emissions keep it in the same tax band as the 1.8 I think thats the one to go for.

Anyone got a 2.0 petrol and care to post their thoughts?

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Have an -05 1.6l tvcti 115 bhp. handling is very sharp, breaks is superb. Engine is very good, but not fast ;-) /Jorgen

Reply to
Jorgen Moquist

Indeed which is why the 1.8 is the minimum engine I would consider. My mk1 was a 1.8 and given that the mk2 is a heavier car with only 10hp more, I think I will need to have the 2.0 for any performance advantage. 167g/km &

169g/km and apparently about 1.5mpg worse for the extra 20hp of the 2.0 makes it a no brainer really.

Now to find a nice 2.0 titanium and slap some ST wheels on it...!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

In message , Tim.. writes

I know you said that your mileage wouldn't a diesel but give the 2.0 TDCi a test drive if you haven't already. Performance wise I prefer it to the 2.0 petrol engine. Lots of grunt in all the right places.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I've been looking at the 2.0 TDCi too.

The 2.5 petrol also is appealing, but the asbo/bling styling puts me right off.

Suppose my ideal mount would be the 2.2 diesel (unlikely to ever find its was into the focus), else a 2.5 in less hideous trim.

Reply to
Acedrew