Diesels - can they be chipped/tuned?

Over on uk.rec.motorcaravans somebody has said that the Fiat 2.0 JTd engine in his motorhome produces 85 bhp, whereas the identical engine in a Fiat car produces 108 bhp.

I'd really be interested in why this is and what can be done about it.

Thanks in advance

Another Dave

Reply to
mfcexpert

It may just be a chip/ECU software change, or there may be something more sinister like intercoolers involved. Compression ratios might be slightly different; even the injector sizes may not be upto the tweak. Try and speak to someone in the know, but in short, yes, they can be tuned up. Search for "Tuning Box" or speak to Torque Developments or even possibly Van Aaken..

Phil

Reply to
Phil Howard

There is a massive market in chipping/ tuning especially to common-rail units. Vehicle makers produce engines that have to have tolererances for different grades of diesel throughout the EU, skipping of services etc. As a result the engines are well basically de-tuned. As a result there are plenty of companies out their that can remapp an ECU or fix a clever box to the engine to alter the pressure of the fuel that is pumped into the engine thus creating more bhp and more importantly in diesel engines torque. (Superchips and Bromleys)

Many engines of the same capacity produce different bhp. The classic example has got to be the VW 1.9 PD Tdi engine. I think the various outputs are 100,

130, and 150bhp.

I think I am correct, though no doubt someone out there will correct me if I ma not.

Regards

Tony

Reply to
Anthony Stopforth

Pretty much. The outputs are 110,130 and 150. _AFAIK_, the difference between the 110 and 130 is software. The 150 apparently has a different (bigger) turbo, but everything else is pretty much the same.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

My DTi Zafira was "chipped" from 100 to approx 130bhp for £500. All they do is re-map the ECU but some cars are actually fitted with a small dongle that does the same thing.

Really happy with it.

Steve

Reply to
Me