Door mechanism on modern cars

As passenger in a recent modern car, I discovered an odd phenomeon. The car doors are spring loaded, such that opening less than a defined
angle e.g. 45 deg, the door wants to close. Opening further beyound that angle, the door wants to fully open.
This feature easily results in the car door hitting a car parked next to it. The occupant stepping out doesn't realise that the door will tend to spring open by itself when beyound the critical angle. Presumably this is intended as a "helpful" design feature, but with unitended consequences to say the least...
On 15/12/2018 16:45, johannes wrote:

Based on a statistical sample of one, I don't think you can assert that *all* modern cars are like that.
--
Cheers,
Roger
On 15/12/2018 16:56, Roger Mills wrote:

Indeed. The sample car was a recent Ford Fiesta. Presumably this may be a feature of all Fords, and there are quite many of those. Then the competitors will latch on.

It's hardly new. What is a problem though is the fact that "standard" car parking bays haven't changed in width in donkey's years but cars have all got wider.
One day cars with come with ultrasonic "gap detectors" that will stop you opening your door too wide in these situations
Tim
On 15/12/2018 17:23, Tim+ wrote:

just get a tesla and tell it to park itself :)

Very much depends on what you're parked next to.
I've had to get K to scramble across the seats in the Boxster to get into it for me and move it out of the space - because she's only a size 8 and 5ft tall whilst I'm taller and twice her weight!
I can't see your average Tesla owner giving a fuck about making it difficult for drivers around them - they exist in their own smug superiority bubble.
--
Steve H

On 16/12/2018 18:24, Steve H wrote:

Well I am a bit like Rowan Atkinson. I'd love to have a 911 but wouldn't want people to think I am the sort of person who would drive one.

Buy an old watercooled 911. They're perfectly acceptable. I even reckon a 996 is acceptable as a 'modern classic' these days. It's just newer ones which make people think you have a micropenis ;)
--
Steve H

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Steve H) Wrote in message:

Old school? Don't you mean air cooled?
Tim

Yes, that's what I meant.
--
Steve H

On 16/12/2018 20:43, Steve H wrote:

All air cooled porkers come with substantial "classic" tax. All of them want to kill you.
Early water cooled are now rising in price. All the ones that were subject to bore cracking should have cracked by now. All the ones with IMS bearing issues should be much more easy to sort as it's now understood to be an alignment issue of a register on one of the cases.
The ones with the engine moved forward with angled driveshafts don't have murder in their hearts.
Tim+ wrote :

A new retailing site has just been built locally. The parking bays are quite a bit wider than I have come to expect.

The only place near me with “adequate” bays is Costco.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 18/12/2018 00:00, Tim+ wrote:

Same for me, the entire Lakeside retail park is otherwise sized for Moggy Minors.
However, 99+ per cent of our shopping happens in Costco, so it is not too much of a problem, and I use a cat d writeoff as my shopping car.