Door mirror glass

This seems like a silly post. I have a cracked glass on our Astra (R plate drivers side curved glass). My local shop seem totally unable to source a replacement in six weeks of trying (there are two shapes and they did manage to get the wrong one) and there isn't a local main dealer. After quite a lot of googling all I could find online was "cut it yourself" plastic sheet, or general purpose web forms on "go-faster stripe" shops. Can anyone recommend a site? Is the plastic stuff any good?

Reply to
Newshound

Is the plastic stuff any good?

I've tried it and thought it was pants

Reply to
SteveF

Newshound ( snipped-for-privacy@fairadsl.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It's an Astra, ffs. If nowhere can find a mirror for *that*, what hope for those of us running odd stuff?

Reply to
Adrian

Assuming your not in the back of beyond, your local Halfords shed will stock replacement mirrors.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Gibson

I thought it was useless when I saw it fitted to an old Colt that we bought as a run-around. Halfords as Dave said should stock one off the shelf. Why not make a template then take that with you and get a close match if they haven't got an astra one?

Reply to
Malc

Should have looked a little bit further down the google page .....

DougP

Good thought (though their range wasn't very good last time I needed one). I buy such a lot of (relatively) obscure stuff on the web these days that I'm surprised that one of the motor trade suppliers doesn't have a site.

Newshound

Thirty odd quid. Save your money. Motorworld (and others) have self adhesive mirrors for all makes. Don't remove the old cracked glass, it sticks straight on top. About a fiver afair. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

Further to that if it's not curved glass, buy one of those stick on 'overtaker' gizmo's which show the blind spot- about £2. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

The message from "DougP" contains these words:

Typical - don't list the Montego!

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "davek" contains these words:

But (in my experience) only flat glass, which is an abomination in a driver's door mirror.

Reply to
Guy King

Thanks for the link, how did I miss that?

Actually though it is Motorworld that *can't* manage to find me one, also they are asking £20 or so just for the (curved) glass, whereas the link is offering me the whole unit. My problem now is that I can't quite work out which one I need. It's a car on the borderline of Mk 3 and Mk 4 and has some features of each. The mirrors have a colour-matched shell so it looks like the Mk 4, except that the glass is more oval. The Mk 4 in the picture seems to have one square-ish corner, and that is the shape of the glass which would not fit!

Reply to
Newshound

Unitruck Ashton -U- Lyne do replacement mirror glass for pretty well everything bar WWII Focke-Wolfe . check under the car glass applet >

Vauxhall

Derek

Thanks, looks good: I will give them a bell

Newshound

Sticking a new mirror on an old one looks awful and often stops it adjusting properly.

Why not remove the old glass? It takes about 5 seconds.

Secondly, the cost of a genuine glass is not great and they are well packed so a dealer could post one to you. At least you know it will fit properly.

Reply to
Alan

The chassis number will tell the Vauxhall dealer all he needs to know and can identify the exact model.

Reply to
Alan

Last year I was able to buy a glass for 1986 Carlton from a local auto accessory/factors place so an Astra should be no probs. Stuart

Reply to
Stuart