Dummy load for gearbox.

I want to change the gear oil. How could one provide a safe dummy load for the gearbox. The car is off the road so cannot be driven to warm up the gear oil. Any other way I could heat up the gearbox?

The message from Z contains these words:

Fan heater? Hot air paint stripper gun stood underneath?

Reply to
Guy King

leave a blower heater playing against it for a few hours, why do want to change it now? rather than when the vehicle is in use.

mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Why heat it up? Just undo the drain plug and leave it for a few hours.

Reply to
Conor

If the car is not in use, just leave it draining for a few days.

Reply to
SimonJ

In article , MrCheerful writes

I suppose there is no good reason to change it now. It's been off road for two years and I'm putting it back on the road again. It is due a major service (currently at 26500miles, R Reg) and the dealers charge a fortune for fluids they use in the service. I was hoping to save some money and for it to have a hitch free drive to the MOT and service.

I've been looking for engine block heaters but have got a puzzled look whenever I ask. Used to use them on the lifeboats and rescue craft. Fire engines, ambulances and other emergency services vehicles also use them.

The vehicle is plugged in when not in use and building power is fed to block heaters and battery. When they are called out and drive off the socket is released from the vehicle automatically.

I did get a reality check that I haven't been imagining things all my life when I spoke with a gentleman who had lived in Canada who told me it was so cold where he lived that all vehicles are fitted with engine block heaters.

As a by the way, the self retracting sockets are pretty expensive but I note on AA vans there is a socket fitted on the front skirt where some cars have additional headlights and others have a grille. The AA plug their jump leads in these sockets. Are these sockets and jump leads special build for AA or recovery services? Where could one purchase these?

If it's only done 26500miles then it really won't be desperately in need of a gearbox oil change. You can still get block heaters, webasto make them , why you want one unless you live in Canada is another question. The big 12V connecters on the front of AA vans etc. are available from RS or forklift suppliers but they're not cheap.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

halfway down the page, to power connectors.

Reply to
SimonJ

My 110 is ex AA and I have got these sockets fitted front and back. They are enabled by a switch on the dash. I had planned on removeing them until an AA patrol man gave me a set of jump leads that plug right in.

I bumped into him at my local Partco and approached him with a question about a button with an unknown function on the near side wing. He couldn't help me with the button but I got a set of 15' jump leads out of it!

AFAIK the sockets are the same as fitted to electric fork trucks for the charge leads.

Reply to
Simon Barr