Vauxhall Diesel Clutch

The clutch is slipping on my newly acquired 1.7TD Cavalier. I hear this is just a 1 hour job. This is the first clutch to go on me in 20+ years of motoring. Any advice before I go shopping and get my overalls on Tuesday?

Reply to
DP

The message from "DP" contains these words:

As I understand it you'll need a set of clips which hold the clutch assembly together so it can be withdrawn from the housing.

Reply to
Guy King

Front end on ramps. You need the end plate gasket for the gearbox, gearbox oil, good circlip pliers(closing), (spare circlip can be useful!) the shaft slide hammer, a set of clutch plate clips, a friend to press the clutch down while fitting the clips is useful too.

mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

oh and a set of spline tips, and an air impact wrench makes taking out the shaft locking bolt easier too.

mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

If it's the same as the Mk2, you'll want a Haynes Book of Lies, plus the little horseshoe clamp things that hold the clutch together while you withdraw it from the engine.

You'll also need the special tool (or made up one from the BoL) to extract the gearbox input shaft through the side of the gearbox.

HTH

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

If you have the Isuzu engined Cav (which I assume you will have - it has 'Turbo' in red on the rocker cover), then the gearbox has to be removed to replace the clutch. The engine is fitted with the clutch recessed into the flywheel, so it cannot be withdrawn through the inspection plate in the bottom of the gearbox. In fact, some of the gearboxes are not even fitted with the inspection plate.

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

If you do have the isuzu engine then you do not have to completely remove the engine or box, just undo all the bolts and ease them apart from underneath, this gives you enough room to get the clutch out of the recessed flywheel. I have done this in situ twice, it is not too difficult.

mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

When I did an engine swap on a mk2 Cav, my special tool for getting the input shaft out was a bolt from the bottom of the toolbox, and a pair of pliers - Although I suppose they're not all that easy! :)

Reply to
Stuffed

It needs an M7 bolt IIRC, Possibly one from the gearlinkage cover. I kept one when I scrapped a cav. I kept it with the three clips and a spare circlip just in case. This simple procedure meant that I was able to lose all these things in one easy operation. :-((

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

When I did the clutch in my Astra van (G reg 1.3 petrol), I remember the Haynes manual saying that there was a bolt somewhere around the gearbox/engine assembly - possibly one of the bellhousing bolts, or maybe the gearlinkage cover (like you say), which you could just borrow to screw in to the end of the gearbox main shaft and pull it out. Any manuals will say that you may need a slide hammer, but in practise 99% of the time it will come out very easily - you should be able to pull it out with your fingers (once a bolt is screwed in the end). A mate of mine had done the clutch on a Nova a few months before I did my Astra one and he told me his came out very easily and when I came to doing mine it was the same story, so I'd doubt there'd be a problem there.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan