Ebay lambdas

Out of interest my lambda was in question in another thread and I started looking at lambdas.

I found one for my vehicle thats has four wires, and says if my original wires are such such colour etc then this one will work you just have to cut the old wires and connector and crimp to new one or soldier would be my preference.

My question is a new one from gsf or ecp is about £104 +vat ... so could one like this with no plug be good enough for the job ? at £18 ... shirely if it sounds to good to be true ....

But if it worked it would be one hell of a saving! heres the aution I'm taslking about 250488599667

Reply to
munki

I would seriously advise you to fit a "proper fit" Lambda sensor, ie one with the correct number of wires and with a plug on the end. My experience with the 'universal' type (with bare wires) has proved them to be real trouble. Lambda sensors rely on precise resisitance and therefore the length of the cables are absolutely critical to sensor operation. You would be better off with the type on FleaBay, no: 00300155297. Hope this helps. Wavey Dave

Reply to
DAVE

It sort of depends. You can in some cases get an identical Bosch one sans plug for a fraction of the maker's price. Check the numbers on the sensor.

104 quid is taking the p**s. I bought a brand new wideband one from Bosch complete with plug for about 70 - and that's a far more complex device than an ordinary one.

It's a bit like inkjet cartridges - car makers cut the profit to the bone to sell new cars - and ramp up the prices of consumables to make money.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If the wire length is *that* critical, you're going to be in problems with any connector.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

VW want over 140 quid for some of their ones

Reply to
Mrcheerful

And my Nissan Maxima QX 3.0 V6 has four of the buggers at about £120 each!

Reply to
Pete Zahut

That's politer than I'd have phrased it. But if you're not into crimps &= =

heatshrink then fleabay will sell you a real Bosch one with the plug (as= =

will any decent Bosch stockist) for =A350.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

SO I read on the 4 motion models!!

Reply to
munki

I trust your knowledge and expertrise alot being a regular who I read many of your posts.

Do you reckon it would be ok that particular one as a direct replacement? .. or worth sourcing a bosch one for a bit more. Like a ool last year I bought a 104 quid one from GSF thinking it was way cheaper than the £120 one the dealer had for sale, there is so much more out there if you can find it.

That looks like a simple replacement, of cutting the connecter block off with some wiring attached and soldering on the new 4 wires to the remaining wires with a bit of heatshrink.

But as it turns out as you know it might of just been a lose spark plug. Which I'm monitoring to see if the spark plug colours change and the warning message comes back.

Reply to
munki

Stick a meter on it & watch for the volts changing, or ask around on here or the VW groups for someone with Vag-Com to look at it & you'll be able to tell if it's knackered.

Cats-direct is fairly cheap,

&
Has a list of all the common ones.

What's your current motor?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Blush.

As I said I'd remove the existing one and see if you can still read the part number. It's engraved so you should be able to. And get one with the same part number from Bosch or Ebay. If it's not a Bosch, you're on your own. ;-)

Or buy a new plug. Somewhere between 5-10 quid. VW do sell them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'll hang my head in shame and admit to owning a :) mk4 golf 1.6 16v 2001 AZD golf.

Reply to
munki

I'll hang my head in shame and admit to owning a :) mk4 golf 1.6 16v 2001 AZD golf.

Reply to
munki

LZA11-v4. That's a wideband zirconia, they really do cost a packet, even= a =

generics over =A360, find someone with vag-com & make sure you need it.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

LZA11-v4. That's a wideband zirconia, they really do cost a packet, even a generics over £60, find someone with vag-com & make sure you need it.

-- Top man I have invested in a used vag com lead from ebay and will register it for £50 /gulp/ but it s worth it form what I read and owning anything vw/skoda/audi related.

Reply to
Dubber

*new id as some silly tit is using my id for stupidity in the consumer ebay group for some reason*
Reply to
Dubber

It's not as usefull as a socket set. But mine gets borrowed at least as = =

often.

Reply to
Duncan Wood