erratic speedo 51reg Focus

A friend of mine has a Ford focus (dunno which model, fairly basic I think) and he says that occasionally when changing down through the gears, the speedo goes crazy and flicks up to over 100 mph before returning to normal. It'll do this several times in a journey and then may not happen again for weeks.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Tim

The blue oval badge on the front...

Reply to
SteveH

Be fair, it's 10 years old and this is it's first fault.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

speed sensor becoming erratic is very common on these and quite cheap, speedometer unit failures are common too but a bit dearer.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Cheers, I'll pass on the info.

Is the any easy DIY test or is it just simpler to replace on spec?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie
[...]

No realistic way to test; it's too intermittent.

A new sensor is about 25UKP, and less than an hour's labour to fit.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Ford are still doing the whole Cluster for £130 instead of the original £450 if it turns out not to be the VSS.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

....once you persuade the roll pin out. lol.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..
[...]

:-)

Break off the silly clip with pliers, use sidecutters to lever it out.

(Note to OP; buy a new pin with the sensor. You *will* need it!)

More of a problem I find is pulling the sensor out after removing the pin. If you get it even a bit crooked, it will break.

I've read, but never tried, that removing the gearbox oil level plug enables easy removal. The theory is that pulling the sensor out creates a vacuum, inhibiting removal. Sounds a bit far-fetched, but costs nothing to try I guess.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

the gearbox will have a breather, so I cannot see that removing the filler would make any odds. I made up a tool to use that can be tapped upward to remove the switch, before attempting removal I wash and blow the area to get any grit out. I would guess that removal from above would be nearimpossible.

Interesting list of Focus faults here including one about erratic speedo that I had not heard before.

Mrcheerful
[...]

Do you mean the CHT sensor cable re-routing?

This only affects Zetec SE ones, and is the subject of a TSB.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan