Escort 1.8 zetec running rough cont....

Ok, my joy was a bit premature with my car, it's problem has evolved. Since fixing the o2 senser connection the car runs better. But now when it has decided to stall at junctions when hot.

After a bit of playing around, the problem only occurs of you go from above

2k(ish) rpm to no throttle and no clutch then it hunts badly and stalls. If the car decelerates down to about 1000rpm before putting the clutch in then it's fine. Revving it to above 3k for a few seconds also brings it on. I think it's overfueling and briefly flooding when idle.

Checked the throttle position sensor with a meter and it's ok. MAF sensor was unplugged and the car felt weak when driving.

(Previously changed plugs, leads, coil pack, crank sensor.)

David

Reply to
David

Idle control valve (ISCV) could be lazy/blocked? Bit of a common problem. Try cleaning it out with carburettor cleaner (remove it first..!!)

Phil

Reply to
Phil Howard

I had thought of that, but wasn't sure where to find it (not had the car very long and haynes manual was a bit vague). Any pointers on where to look.

David

Reply to
David

Just looked at the Haynes manual myself - it is a bit vague!

Not totally sure, but it will probably be somwhere around the throttle body.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Howard

the iscv is the tubular bit, near the tps. While there have you checked that the breather box on the front is clear? these can fill and block with crud. with the hose out there should be a fair draught of oily fumes from the box with engine running.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Looks like it's hidden below all the inlet pipes, nice place for it.

Looking like the MAF sensor might be suspect, doesn't do the stalling with the MAF unplugged....

David

Reply to
David