Escort 1.8 zetec running a bit rough

Hi,

I've got an escort (R reg) 1.8 zetec (115ps version) that runs a bit rough. At idle (when warm) the revs aren't stable, randomly go between 800 and

1000, the engine vibrates when running rough and smooth when ok. When driving at a constant speed it feels like the power is fluctuating in the same way, but when you accelerate it seems fine, pulls fine, no misfire or anything right to the red line.

So far I've changed the air filter, plugs (which were badly needing changed), plug leads, ignition coil pack and crank pos sensor. All common problems I've been told with this model. But they've not made much difference with the problem.

There are no obvious leaks. Throttle position sensor and MAF sensor are next suspects. Any better guesses out there?

David

Reply to
David

Oxygen (also known as lambda) sensor?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Riches

My bet would be the TPS.

There is a very useful site here:

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

This site was free a month ago!!

Reply to
sPoNiX

I had something similar on a Mondeo I used to have. It was water in the connector of the HEGO sensor on the downpipe.

Reply to
Marty

Thanks to all that have replied, but what's a HEGO sensor?, never heard of that one before.

David

Reply to
David

Its the proper name for the o2 sensor- Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen sensor...

Going back to the problem- to rule out the MAF- unplug it and drive the car. If the problem is no worse, then the MAF is faulty.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

That's what it was, connector had corroded connections in it. All cleaned up and now appears to be ok.

Cheers all.

Reply to
David