which diesel

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian." Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance Sent: Friday, September 26, 2003 6:53 PM Subject: which diesel ??

I am thinking of replacing my vw golf diesel tdi 1996 its done 78K and I > have a 120 mile round trip to work think its best to get rid while I can > still get something for it !!.I was thinking of the Peugeot 406 as I have a > growing family.My golf is quit economical but I want something that matches > it for economy.Does anyone have the fuel consumption figures for the > 406?.Also what family size car/cars with good mpg figures (must be diesel > due to mileage) can anyone recomend. > Thanks in advance. > >
Reply to
Brian.

Mercs have a good reputation. If buying used, a good car is better than a good make. Avoid former takis unless the price is right.

You should also consider lpg. Many taxis are going that way now. Economy is similar to a normal petrol, but the cost is 37p per litre. I don't have one yet so I can't give a strong recommendation, but it's on my "wish list".

Reply to
DP

Lpg could only be a good bet if the goverment keep the duty frozen, if they lift the "special" arrangement for Lpg then your knackered, just a thought!

Reply to
Anthony Stopforth

My 2000 Xantia 90hdi cost £5800 September last year. Does 50mpg (still can't believe it) and pulls the caravan all over Europe. Just had first MoT and ticket with no probs. Same engine as the Peugeot 406. I wanted the 110hdi but none available. If you can find one, they are a tad more sprightly and even better on fuel. DaveK.

Reply to
DaveK

I too could see that happening one day, but not until lpg vehicles become much more popular. At the moment I doubt there are enough about to make a difference and the government is encouraging their use (no central London congestion charge as well as lower tax).

Like you no doubt, I can remember a government promising to keep the price of diesel below petrol to encourage its use.

___

DP