Estate Car bumper protection

I want to protect the upper flat surface of my estate car rear bumper from scuff damage when removing items from the load bay. I'm looking for some sort of heavy duty self-adhesive black vinyl that can be cut to shape and then stuck down.

I've done a bit of Googling without success. Anyone any ideas?

Uno-Hoo!

Reply to
Uno-Hoo!

Your local vinyl sign shop should be able to sort you out. Needs heat to apply though as vinyl doesn't stick to plastic bumpers well without it.

For the size you're wanting, missus says you should be paying next to bugger all as she has larger pieces in the scrap bin. Put it this way, she did the graphics on my Capri which are 2 of 2metres x 9.5cm out of the scrap she had laying around.

Reply to
Conor

Thanks for that Conor - I'll give it a try!

Uno-Hoo!

Reply to
Uno-Hoo!

Isn't that going to look even worse than a scuffed bumper?

Reply to
Hooch

"Uno-Hoo!" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net:

My car also has a large painted upper bumper. I solve this problem by lining the boot with an old blanket. I leave a fold in it at the rear edge, so every time I'm lifting a large object in/out, I simply have to pull out the fold and drape the edge of the blanket over the bumper. Hence my boot and bumper are protected at all times with minimal inconvenience and no unsightly coverings on the bumper.

Bit more simplistic than what you had in mind, but it works :-)

Stu

Reply to
Stu

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It's the 80s all over again...

Pink Escrote convertible with "Rag top" in script letters down the side, anybody?

Reply to
Adrian

I have seen ones for my C5 estate on ebay like

or 110084103686

Des

Reply to
Dieseldes

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

You can get thick clear vinyl for sticking on motorbikes to protect the tank, luggage areas or forks from scratches. I use tape from Halfords. I think it's called heavy duty repair tape. Very thick and strong, almost clear with a green tint. Or you could use black duct tape; it's strong and easy to find.

AL

Reply to
Al M

In news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net, Uno-Hoo! wittered on forthwith;

Places that do industrial flooring tend to have all kinds of useful sticky back stuff. I got "non-slip"[1] sticky back vinyl for the steps on a 4x4 limo from a place called "Lees Floorstok" or something similar in Liverpool. Cheap and excellent.

[1] non slip as in grippy. Stuff from factory staircases [2] [2] not as in "sticky back but doesn't stick".
Reply to
Pete M

I've seen one or two estate cars/people carriers that come from the factory with a black protective sheet covering the vulnerable area of the bumper.

Uno-Hoo!

Reply to
Uno-Hoo!

Thanks everyone for your advice. One or two ideas to follow up!

Uno-Hoo!

Reply to
Uno-Hoo!

LOL. Furry dice, vinyl graphics. Yeah..can see what you're getting at.

But..

These are reasonably tasteful done in the style of the GT40.

I'll admit that it did come with one of those garish CAPRI graphics that was done in horizontal lines on the hatchback screen. Been on so long the red had turned nearly white and the vinyl was brittle. Got that off though.

Reply to
Conor

ROTFL! Thanks Conor, best laugh I've had all day.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Like this...? http://62.95.94.132/albums/CitroMobile-2006/1_G.jpg