Estima auto not pulling away when cold - where's the ATF filler?

Our Toyota Estima automatic has started not pulling away at first when it's cold. After putting it into gear and revving up nothing happens for a few seconds, then the transmission engages and off it goes. When it's been running a few minutes it's OK.

I thought I'd start off by checking whether the ATF level is low (does this seem a likely cause?) but I'm damned if I can find the filler! Under the bonnet there's brake fluid, power steering, windscreen washer and engine oil - but no ATF! Do I need to get up one of the front seats?

(Also posted to the Estima web fora)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Low fluid level *is* a likely cause. If it's very low it could be partially beneath the pump pickup and causing cavitation. As the system heats up the fluid expands and it just about makes it.

Does it make a difference if parked on a hill - and facing in different directions? On a heavy camber left or right side of car to kerb? The pump pickup is rarely central in the sump.

Many cars don't have filler tubes with dipsticks. There will be a filler plug somewhere on the side of the box. But since these systems are nominally sealed, you must have a leak for this situation to have occurred.

Other possibilities include a partially blocked pump strainer, worn pump or sticking valve.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Under the front seats - which BTW is also where you check and top up the engine oil. The oil tank under the bonnet is not used for filling the engine oil, bizarrely enough!

Passenger seat should have a latch at the front which tips the seat base, under the flap in the carpet it the engine inspection cover. Engine & gearbox dipsticks both live there.

Although I have a feeling that the ATF is actually topped up from a filler plug on the side of the gearbox, under the car.

Draining the ATF, cleaning the gearbox sump and refilling is supposed to be a service item, but I'd guess it has never been done - I know our last one hadn't. My mechanic pal dropped it off, gave it a good swill out with paraffin, dried it, blew it all out with air and refitted it. Fresh ATF, and it was definitely better for it.

Reply to
asahartz