Things not to do when changing oil.

After congratulating yourself that you diddn't spill a drop when draining, forget that there is plenty in an oil filter to drain all over you.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Also don't forget to replace the filter and sump plug BEFORE refilling the engine. *cough*

Reply to
Depresion

Or to remove the oil container before driving off. You only do that once.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

My dad tells me of the time he had a brand new Austin A35 van (this was of course some years back!). On its very first service a mechanic forgot to replace the drain plug in the rear axle... The van got as far as the A1 (not far) where the axle seized and the van was promptly written off by the following lorry.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Or leave the oil filler cap off, drive from Dublin - Belfast via the scenery then do several domestic trips around Belfast and then get half way back to Dublin before stopping to fill up the screenwash and say oops....

Still only threw out half of the oil :-D I think the sound deadening stuff almost plugged the hole as there certainly is a healthy oil mist in the cam box.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Or drain the oil into a receptacle which has a *slightly* smaller capacity than the sump.

Reply to
Malc

The message from "Malc" contains these words:

And drop the drainplug into the can. (apologies if we've done this one - my newserver's had a brainfart)

Reply to
Guy King

And then forget that it's scaulding hot oil when you plunge your hand in to fish it back out.

Reply to
SteveH

Why is it always the simple jobs that spawn the most problems.

Reply to
Depresion

The message from snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

Or finding your latex glove's taken this opportunity to split.

Reply to
Guy King

Processing Searching for "simple job"................................... Notfound error

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

the oil drainer we use at work has a strainer on it to catch the crap, washers & sump plugs, only this time the strainer wasn't down and the sump plug promptly dropped into the 25ltr container to the bottom and the only way the tank can be emptied of its contents is by compressed air pumped into a bunded tank, never did retrive the bugger !!!

Reply to
reg

or being disturbed & forgetting to screw the oil filter on and wondering why the oil light hasnt gone out yet & revving it to try and put it out *cough* looked like a scene from the Amoco Cadiz disaster !

Reply to
reg

Do it when the oil is only warm, not hot. Feels luvverly ;-)

Reply to
PC Paul

Did chuckle when I read this thread. Have done all of the above at some time or the other, although thankfully not at the same time.

Reply to
Partac

Slightly different, but also not wise to start a car when you've forgotten that you have the (mechanical) oil pressure gauge disconnected. Especially if its a Saab99, where the connection nipple points upwards at a

45 degree angle. Especially if your neighbour across the street has just washed their car......... Oops.
Reply to
SimonJ

Or, not quite as bad, drive home from Guildford to Bracknell pick up a few bits and pieces, clear out a lot of the crap that was in the car (mostly going straight in the bin), check oil/coolant and top up as required, notice dodgy exhaust smell halfway to Bagshot that's probably coming from the s**te old Uno in front, notice dodgy exhaust smell is still there when s**te old Uno isn't, at the M3 junction, pull over quick, realise oil cap isn't on, and must have fallen off wherever it had rested, check oil to reveal it's still a reasonably way above minimum to get to Vauxhall dealer a gentle 2-3 miles drive down the main road, buy new oil cap, go home, oil eventually burns off exhaust manifold etc. Job jobbed....

Reply to
AstraVanMan

and after reading all your posts say...thats why i pay the local garage £30 to do it for me.

Reply to
Joe

Well at least most DIY people wouldn't put a 20mm threaded oil filter on to a car with a 3/4" fitting, like a local garage did.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

The message from Colin Stamp contains these words:

As I was changing the roll-bar droplink bushes on the wife's Clio last night I dropped one of them and without thinking reached in to pick it up. Then I realised that I'd reached /into/ a loaded trolleyjack's scissory bits.

The car was on stands but I'd had to jack up the rollbar to compress the rubbers. I suppose it wouldn't have moved far if something had gone wrong, but it certainly made me promise not to do it again.

Reply to
Guy King