faulty head gasket

Anyone know if a faulty head gasket could cause my engine to overheat and boil off the coolent?

Also any ideas of the rought cost of a new head gasket for a fiat sciecento

Cheers

Reply to
Skull Cowboy

Yes it can. Price depends on the damage done and how good the garage=20 is. Costs from about =A350 DIY to a few hundred =A3=A3.

--=20 Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.

Reply to
Conor

Absolutely, it's usually the first sign that most drivers notice.

And on one of those it's 100% that'll be the fault.

As Conor says, about £50 to do it yourself, or usually up to about £350 if you pay a garage. Try not to let them skim the head if you do use a garage, these don't run well after a head skim.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Thanks to both of you for getting back to me.

Many thanks

Is it easy for anyone to change a gasket or is it best left to the proffesionals?

Reply to
Skull Cowboy

If you have a decent tool set and can follow the instructions in the Haynes b.o.l. it's not a difficult job.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

No this can't happen. I've stripped down many VW Beetle engines and can find no correlation between head gasket failure and "coolant" loss.

Reply to
Dave Baker

What about new Beetles? :)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

I'm sure they never break down. After all, since about the mid 90's there's nothing in life so reliable as a Volkswagen - or so they tell us.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Last few days i lost water and over heated, i couldnt find anything wrong until i looked unde the hood at the fisrt sign of temp right and noticed a tiny tiny pin head lead leak under pressur from the ext water pipe.

Changed many a head gasket, but if the heads warped it will happen again.

A skim and a set of torque wrenches, with the correct order woudlt do.

Missed what engine it is.

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

LOL - you almost caught me out with that one !!!!

Stuart (who had to read it twice before noticing the word "Beetle")

Reply to
Stuart Gray

I can't help thinking that, generally speaking, when all's said and done, at the end of the day etc etc., that that's a load of old bollocks. Sorta thing.

Are they still saying it? I wonder if the Japanese sued?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Of course it is. I was being ironic. VW's are rather poor for reliability other than in their own adverts.

Reply to
Dave Baker

The message from snipped-for-privacy@aol.comNoEmails (Dave Baker) contains these words:

Oh, well, that's OK then.

Aparently that Citroen advert with the bloke relying on some newfangled gizmo to guide him over a CGI bridge isn't a problem with the regulators "Because it's obvious that the bridge isn't real". I bet the bunch who did the CGI are less than pleased about that.

Reply to
Guy King

No, I didn't mean your comment was bollocks, Dave! I knew you were being ironic and I meant that VW's claim to ultimate reliability was bollocks...which it is/was. I was wondering how they managed to get away with it. *Thinks* Ah..."If only everything in life was as reliable as a VW" wasn't it? They didn't actually say that they never break. Crafty beggars.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot