Female Torx Bit Size

Hi Guys

Now the lighter nights have arrived I'm just getting around to changing the discs on my combo van.

Had a look tonight and it seems i need to buy a female Torx socket to get the Calliper bracket/holder off the hub. Can anyone advise what size i need to buy as i can never seem to find a correlation between physical size and the T numbers on Torx stuff.

As the rounded out Torx 30 screws in the disks popped out easily these according to the law of sod will probably be a right barstool.

TIA Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

A general rule for Torx sizes (well the female headed type, anyway) is:-

Torx T size = Fastener thread Diameter * 5

example for an M5 bolt = M5*5 = T25 bit.

HTH

Anthony Remove colour from the SKY to reply

Reply to
Anthony Britt

"Anthony Britt" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

But for a "female" torx - ie, the opposite to a normal torx - the size is prefixed E. So it'd be an E25.

Reply to
Adrian

Get a set 'on a rail' for your socket set. Halfords sell them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thats Good Plan C, its just I'll probably never use the other sizes or are they becoming more common?

Plan A - Find the size + Buy it Plan B - Borrow Plan C - Buy a set!

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

They're used on my 25 year old car as well as newer one.

The very next day you'll need another size.

You'll loose it and end up having to buy one to replace it.

Buying good tools is never money wasted.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Damn right. Buying food for the kids is literally down the drain within 12 hours... :o)

Reply to
Steve Walker