fiat cinquecento

hi, have been offered a fiat cinquecento by a friend of a friend for =80900. 35,000 miles 1996, having a look at it tomorrow, any one here any tips on what i should look out for?

tia

Reply to
Psy 93

Which model?

If it's a Sporting, look for accident damage, rust around jacking points and invoices for replacement radiator, water pump and cambelt.

If it's a 900cc S or SX, don't even bother to look at it.

Reply to
SteveH

Christ that was quick! its the sx, just looking for something for the wife to get to and from work ( bout 4 miles) wont be used for anything else,

Reply to
Psy 93

Hateful little cars. I really wouldn't bother. Maybe for half that price, but it looks very expensive for an SX - with it's wheezy little

900cc lump and comedy suspension.
Reply to
SteveH

snip--

Hateful little cars. I really wouldn't bother. Maybe for half that>

price, but it looks very expensive for an SX - with it's wheezy little

900cc lump and comedy suspension.

- Honda VFR800 - Hongdou GY200 - Alfa 75 TSpark Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI - COSOC KOTL BoTAFOT #87 - BoTAFOF #18 - MRO # - UKRMSBC #7 - Apostle #2 - YTC #

thanks for that, but believe it or not saw a 97sx with 57,000 miles puke green for sale in a garage for =801,300 last friday

Reply to
Psy 93

Seriously, give it a wide berth.

They really are s**te.

For that kind of money you could get a similarly aged Punto with the 1.1 OHC lump, instead of the rattly old pushrod.

If you're really in to the idea of a small city car, Seicentos are much better (although have the same old 'bag of spanners' lump) and should be around for similar prices.

Reply to
SteveH

-=-=-=-

The SX? They're not all that bad for what they are. Not quick, but then neither is the Sporting and both feel quicker than they really are. The engine may need the tappets replacing - £100 at a dealer as I understand. It'll rattle like mad and sound knackered. Some have rust issues, walk away if it has: fully galvanised body you see.

At this age it will have illuminated interior switchgear, a sunroof, electric windows and central locking. Make sure the windows and locking works.

Sometimes the transmission is a real absolute pain to get out of fifth gear, as in, requires two hands. Some interior switchgear is a little fragile. Check the cooling system for leaks. It's a small capacity system so fan activity is common in the city, it should kick in at 100 degrees and keep the temperature at this level or lower. If the temperature hits 110 degrees, walk away. The top hose is reputed to be vulnerable.

Beware pinking engines! :) [Non-serious comment, long time to explain, but one of the regulars swears he has a pinking Siecento 900.]

Otherwise, they're allergic to petrol, mine struggled to get under 40 mpg in the city but driven with mechanical respect, would happily reach mid 50s to the gallon. Insurance is very cheap. Service every 9,000 miles. This goes for both, the Sporting ought to be slightly thirstier in the city but not by much.

Reply to
DervMan

The message from "Psy 93" contains these words:

I saw a vaguely rusty K-reg 1.4 Metro for sale for £575 today. Doesn't mean he's going to get it!

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "DervMan" contains these words:

That's probably a good thing. Many cars really are silly-fast these days. I'm sure we had just as much fun in the 70s with cars that just /felt/ fast. Anyone who's ever driven an 850 Mini will know how fast

40mph can feel!
Reply to
Guy King

I loved my Cinq. Sporting for that reason.

Cracking little cars, I really want another as a toy at some point.

Reply to
SteveH

1996 models are better than the first ones but they are still horrible, flimsy, fragile things. Have a look at the radiator fan mountings, for example. Nasty gearboxes too. £900 is way too much.

Buy a Micra instead - nice little cars.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Thereagain maybe this one doesn't pink .....

Reply to
Duncan Wood

LOL, is that a serious offer?!

I think they are humping your leg senseless...

I seen a 52 plate one, in great condition, 25,000 miles, sporting, £790 at auction, so not much more on a garage forecourt.

When will people learn.... go to car auctions!! You'll regret buying from a friend when everything goes wrong ;-)

Reply to
Robert

Agreed, get a newer 1997 to 2001 model for less than 900 quid at a car auction with low mileage and in generally good condition. Not much to look at, but either are ciquentos (mispelled on purpose so prove how dodgily named they are!), and the engines in micras are much better. The 16v 1.0L engine is lively and not bad to drive considering it's a tiny car. Try to get a non-base model though, purely for the sake of so much metal being on display.

Reply to
Robert

Seconded. That's at least twice what it's worth, probably nearer thrice, even with the low mileage (which isn't all that low for a tiny engined runabout).

Reply to
Nick Dobb

Well been that you can't get 52 plate Cinq's - I find that hard to beleive. Also, car auctions if you don't know what to look for are a bad idea - especially when buying a Fiat :-)

Reply to
DanTXD

Thirded. Non-sporting models of these horrid little things have nothing going for them. At all. At least the Micra won't break down and can do 70.

Reply to
DanTXD

just realised everyone is talking pounds sterling! i'm saying 900 EURO or 615 pounds,

thanks to all for suggestions

Reply to
Psy 93

Bloody foreigners ;-)

It's still Micra money and the Micra's a better car.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Seicento?