Fiat Punto - broken suspension spring

Hi. The main suspension spring on my X-reg Fiat Punto has broken. The top section with just over half-a-circle has broken off, so most of the spring is still intact. The car has done about 47000 miles in 4.5 years so I think this is an early and unexpected failure.

Would appreciate comments on: = whether this is a known or a common problem = what to consider when getting a garage to fix it = should I worry about the spring on the other front wheel.

Thanks in anticipation. Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

spring failure is getting very common due to speed humps.

most garages can fix this.

preferably change both sides, but you will probably never know the difference if you only do one.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I agree it's common but because of speed bumps? Thinner springs seems to me to be a more likely cause.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Not really, as a thinner spring has less cross sectional area to get stressed. I am regularly fitting springs now that we have speed humps everywhere (and mini roundabouts) It used to really rare to fit springs. Speed humps in some areas are so common that all the suspension bits are wearing extra fast. Some designs are more prone to problems, e.g. a Mitsubishi I looked at the other day, the bottom ball joint is under enormous pressure every bump, because the spring goes to the bottom arm, so the wheel is smashed away from the balljoint every bump, this car had torn out the bottom balljoint at a speed hump. I was surprised at the design as it looked like it was asking for trouble.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful