FIAT Punto Head gasket failure

My son's girlfriend has a 1997 Punto with the 1242cc engine. She said it seemed to be running roughly of late and I had look under the bonnet this morning.

There was mayo on the oil filler cap and the coolant was below the min mark (she says it was topped up to full 5 days ago). I couldn't really see if there was any oil in the coolant because of the shape of the reservoir but it did smell oily. There was air bubbling up in the reservoir with the engine running.

It looks like the head gasket has gone and googling around, it seems that this engine is prone to HG failures. Is this an easy DIY job? Will the head need a skim? Failing that, what sort of price would an independent garage charge to do the job?

TIA,

Reply to
Paul Giverin

it is listed as a 2.5 hour job for an experienced mechanic. The head should be checked once removed and skimmed if needed or replaced.

I would guess at 400 quid all in at a small garage, depending on what they find and what extras are needed.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

In message , MrCheerful writes

Thanks for that.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

HFM!?

It's a few years since I needed a HG doing - but I had one side of my wife's Alfa 33 8v done for £240 all-in.

Can't see why something as simple as a Punto would cost 400 quid.

Reply to
SteveH

This is 2007 everything is more complex and the bits are dearer, not to mention labour costs.

I can remember changing a head gasket on a viva (as a job for someone), including parts I charged 30 quid, it seemed a reasonable profit too, sounds ridiculous now though.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

By the time you count up labour (i'd take £50 an hour as a ball park figure), cost of a head set, head bolts (i think punto ones may be reusable though), a head skim (prices are getting quite high now - been awhile since I've had one done, but i'd say at least £40 - 50 now), a new timing belt, antifreeze, and a oil and filter change. And you've got to remember the 2.4hr is just a straight remove and replace time. It doesn't include any other work on the cylinder head, (ie. removing camshaft, cleaning, oil seal changing...) so I'd expect a garage to charge nearer 3 hours.. It all adds up.

Reply to
moray

My local independent garage in High Wycombe charged me £320+vat to change the HG, skim, cambelt and water pump. That was about 4 months ago on a Punto

60S T-plate.

hth

Mike

Reply to
Filthy Sod

Riiiiiight. So, a 1997 Punto has suddenly become more complex in the last few years? - they're simple lumps to work on and access to the head is a lot easier than it is on a flat-4 lump.

Labour.... well, my local garage charges me £27.50 / hour, exactly the same as the guy charged me to do the Alfa head.

If you're using someone who'll charge 400 quid to do the head on a Punto then you need to find another garage.

Reply to
SteveH
[...]

Bloody hell, where in the world are you? Cheapest place local to me (Berkshire) would be nearer double that. In fact I would expect to pay close to that sort of rate for a painter/decorater.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

About 12 miles from Cardiff.

The bloke who did the Alfa was a few miles from Dunstable on the A5.

Last time I used him (around 3 years ago) he was still charging £25+VAT / hour.....

You *can* find cheap and reliable mechanics if you're not fussy about the kind of place they operate from.

Reply to
SteveH

Some of Wales is quite nice...

Reply to