Fiesta Flight flat spots when cold and wet

Before writing this article I did a Google search to see if the subject has been covered before. I didn't find anything quite like this, so...

I've had an occasional problem with my Fiesta Flight for several years. Three or four garages have been unable to suggest an answer to the problem. Having just discovered this group I decided to see if anyone else knows the answer.

The problem has - until recently -only occurred in wet conditions in the winter while driving on motorways. The engine becomes very sluggish with flat spots on deceleration or acceleration. If I continue driving long enough the engine cuts out completely when the car stops and I take my foot off the accelerator. After a few minutes the engine starts and I can continue my journey as though nothing has happened. On at least one occasion I drove very slowly along the hard shoulder until the problem cleared.

Although this has happened when wet or damp in the winter I have driven through driving rain in the summer without any problems. Only this week though the problem occurred on local country roads.

I have heard from a couple of members of my family that they have had the same problem with their cars, both Fords. So I wonder if it is a widely known fault.

I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Reply to
Mike Hutchinson

arry_b

Carb Icing.

Reply to
arry_b

Carb icing.

And yes it can happen on the CFi engines too.

check your exhaust stove and piping.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

Yep...Carb Icing Check the warm pipe connection from exhaust manifold to air breather and make sure the mechanical flap operates....; or put a self taper through it to hold it in the "hot position" for the winter time...... And BTW.... it does not have to be freezing to get Carb ice.

JK

Reply to
JK

In message , JK writes

Wow! I was beginning to wonder whether I was being duped. But three out of three makes me think not.

Funny you should mention that. The pipe (an aluminium-looking spiral) is broken. _I_ even mentioned that to my garage mechanic as a possibility and he claimed that it really doesn't make any difference. I haven't had it replaced because of what he told me and also because he doesn't have a replacement. He tells me that it has to be purchased in longer pieces and is very expensive. ???

Errr... which mechanical flap JK. I assume it's a flap on the carb but my knowledge of cars is not what it could be.

Thanks JK, and to the others for replying. That is so interesting. Seriously! Can you tell me more? Does carb icing occur on the inside or outside?

Thanks for any more information you have time to share.

Regards.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Hutchinson

DING!

Well spotted, your mechanic has all the symptoms of being a knob.

Nope. Try a local spares shop or even Ford. Not expensive.

If that doesn't fix it, have a look at JK's advice on jamming the flap open.

It happens inside the carb. The air travelling through the venturi of the carb travels very fast. It's the wind chill factor that drops the temperature inside to below freezing and the ice blocks the jets. (OK I know that's an over simplification).

Think of dipping hand in lighter fluid and blow at it. Hand gets cooler as the fluid evaporates and takes heat away from your hand.

'arry

Reply to
arry_b

It doesn't usually - just a few days every year.

No. Under a tenner even from Halfords. You buy a bit and you can cut it, stretch it and bend it.

The air cleaner assembly atop the carb should have two air inlets, a cold one and a hot one. Inside should be a thermostatic flap that moves between them depending on air temperature.

Inside the carburettor.

Reply to
Dan Buchan

In message , arry_b writes

Thanks for the interesting information 'arry. It's nice to try to understand new things.

There are other things which are making me think that too. Time to find a new mechanic.

Thanks for the rest of your advice. I'll do whatever has been suggested in this thread and will hopefully let you all know if it solves the problem. I may be some time though... :-)

Regards.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Hutchinson

In message , Dan Buchan writes

Snip

Thanks for taking the time to post Dan. I appreciate the input.

Regards.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Hutchinson