Xsara disk brakes

While checking the air in my tyres today, I noticed that one of the front disks has a score mark on it. How bad does this have to be for an MOT failure?

The reason I ask is that I plan to take the car for it's last service, while the car just under warranty, to a main dealer. I will get them to MOT it at the same time and if they find any problems I can get them fixed under warranty.

However, I very much doubt if a disk replacement will come under the warranty, so I will have to pay for this myself if necessary. Clearly, the dealer will charge some ridiculous amount to replace the disk, so the question is - do I get the disk replaced somewhere cheaper, knowing it will fail the MOT, or will it be OK?

Thanks,

Chris D.

Reply to
Chris Dyson

As long as the caliper isn't seizing, very bad, a simple score wouldn't fail it.

Your right, on a car of that age, discs are a consumable service item and wouldn't be covered by warranty. andyspares.com have them from about £15ea.

Citroen wanted £90 for the discs a couple of years ago. I bought some Powerdiscs from EuroCarParts for £25 each. They gave far better stopping but the pads wore quicker.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Cowell

I am concerned about how much a dealer would charge for fitting of disks because I was quoted £100 just to replace the front pads on a Rover 400 by a Rover dealer during a service. Of course, I just went to Halfords, got some pads and did it myself for £20 (I already had some copper grease) ;-)

CD

Reply to
Chris Dyson

Are we all going American by spellinmg discs 'disks'?

I may found a 'Keep English Spelling English Society. Microsoft is leading us astray.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

Do Americans call discs disks? As far as I am aware the word "disk" came about as an abbreviation of "diskette", being the 5 1/4 inch floppy disc and presumably called -ette because it was smaller than the original 8 inch discs. So hard discs really shouldn't be called disks although they are.

Reply to
Dan Buchan

Bit of a circular argument there! (Ho Ho) Surely 'diskette' is just 'disk' with 'ette' as a diminutive suffix. If you spelled disc D-I-S-C you would have ended up with 'discette'. AFAIK both spellings of the d-word are acceptable on both sides of the pond. This is like the 'ise' or 'ize' argument, people think that words ending 'ize' are americanized, even though the OED usually gives 'ize' as the more correct spelling in English.

Reply to
Bob Davis

In my experience, they call their disks "rotors"...

Reply to
Tony Bond

I think you would tend to pronounce that "dissette". I've always assumed that was why the k, but it's only a guess. I've never noticed the spelling "disk" except in connection to computer discs.

Some of these spellings have been reversed, with the Americans arbitrarily deciding to change words then lapsing back to the old spellings leaving us, in a bizarre twist of fate, with their wrong versions. Words like "fuze" and "connexion" were English. It's all quite fascinating if you like that kind of thing.

Reply to
Dan Buchan