Fiesta keeps revving without accelerator

Ho hum, a few months after replacing the inlet manifold gasket and just before its MOT, my car has now started acting rather oddly.

It's an X reg (2000) Fiesta, 1.3l Endura-E engine.

Recently the car has started behaving in a way that I'm not quite sure how to explain.

Once it's warmed up, when going to change gears, I'll find that the engine revs somewhat when I press the clutch (without pressing the acellerator), with no rev counter I'm not sure what it's revving to, but it seems to be gradually getting higher and more noticable.

The most confusing thing to me is that if I coast to a stop (no feet on pedals in neutral, or just with the clutch in) the revs will return to normal just as the car comes to rest.

Using the brakes has a similar effect, although pumping the brake when stopped makes the engine rev slightly, but I think that's normal.

I've considered a stuck butterfly valve, a dodgy sensor of some type, or an idle air control valve, or the ECU, or something completely different. Basically, I don't know where to start... (Although I have checked the acellerator cable isn't getting stuck)

I suppose going to the Ford garage to see if the diagnostics say anything would be a good start, but I'd rather not spend however much it'll cost just to plug my ECU into a box.

Reply to
David Taylor

leaky gasket on inlet. Leaky inlet pipe to brake servo.

--

Reply to
Neil

Your 'idle flair' does seem alittle excessive, check the brake servo hose for leaks at both ends to begin with.

The 'idle hang' is perfectly normal- the ECU maintains a higher idle speed when the car is in motion, it knows this from the signal from the VSS.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Damaged air filter intake hose.

Reply to
gazzafield

This ones a L reg 1.1. I think I've traced the problem to the connection of the servo hose to the manifold, its quite lose & the revs change when I wiggle it.

Can't see how to remove the connector from the manifold tho', does it unscrew or lever out ? I suspect there's an O ring in there somewhere that's failed. The Haynes manual doesn't show a diagram or give any instructions.

Chris

Reply to
Skokiaan

Thanks for the replies all, but I still don't have much clue what's gone wrong.

Tim.. wrote on Fri, 26 Aug 2005 08:04:44

+0000 (UTC):

It seems fine, as do the air filter connections. It seems odd to me that it only does it after the engine is warm.

Well OK, but at a guess I'd say it's "hanging" at about 2500rpm or more, then dropping down to normal suddenly when the speed reaches a certain point.

It will at times also happily do 10-15mph in first without accelleration, though it will stay at a lower speed after braking.

Reply to
David Taylor

08:04:44 +0000 (UTC):

Normal.

My focus will trundle along in 1st gear maintaining 1500rpm feet off the pedals if you catch it just right.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Tim.. wrote on Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:28:07

+0000 (UTC):

Well, there's definitely something not normal about it.

It didn't (noticably) do what I'm describing previously. It does now...

Reply to
David Taylor