Mondeo engine revving up on its own.

Hi. I have a Mondeo 1.8L 2002 Petrol, about a month ago the engine started loosing power and the reves would drop down to almost zero but never cut out. My ford dealer connected up to the reader and no problems showed up. we noticed that the problem didn't occur when the fuel tank was over 1/2 full so we suspected the fuel pump and changed it out. I am still not convinced the fuel pump was the problem as the revs did drop on one occasion after the change. A new problem has now appeared. the engine will start to rev up to 3000 reves and drops back again top idle at 900 without touching the accelerator. Any ideas?

607 nut!!
Reply to
BB607

Yes, take it someone who knows what they're doing. Just because the computer says there's nothing wrong, does not mean everything is fine and dandy.

It's highly unlikely the fuel pump would cause that problem (when they fail, they generally fail completely).

It's more likely to be the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve, or the throttle body servo sticking (I can't remember of hand what system is fitted to mondeos).

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

If the problem occurs once the tank is below 1/2 couldn't it be a hole in the fuel pickup pipe letting in air? The engine would appear to run a bit lean and that would make the revs increase until the fuel flow resumes and then it settles down again.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

That sounds like something near the spark plug area.

Take it somewhere that employs mechanics, don't bother with Rapid Fit. It is a similar operation to the likes of Kwik Fit. Change parts rather than understand and diagnose.

Why would you change the pump ? The reason given is not even remotely related. It's almost as bad as changing a thermostat in the hope a blocked heater matrix will burst in to life. Rapid Fit should be ashamed!

You need to be looking at a crankcase breather valve, throttle position sensor, EGR valve/solenoid. Rapid Fit wouldn't have a clue, take it to a local independant garage.

Reply to
Mike

You have mentioned Rapid Fit three times, but the OP didn't mention them once. Do you have some personal axe to grind?

FWIW, I would use and recommend my local Rapid Fit *for tyres and exhausts* whereas I would drive past Kwik Fit on a flat tyre sooner than go in there!

If I needed the sort of help the OP does, I would use a dealer.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Hi all,

thanks for taking the time to reply, I will change mechanic... looks like I need one who has moved on from the "points and plugs" era.

607Nut!
Reply to
BB607

Rapid Fit tends to be the outfit you'd find in a Ford dealer.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Yeah...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Well, 'twas only a logical connection seeing as he mentioned what work his 'Ford' dealer done :-p

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

In message , Sandy Nuts writes

Not all Ford dealers have Rapid Fit branches. As Chris said, the OP specifically said the work was carried out by a "Ford dealer" ;)

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Reply to
BB607