Fiesta with Endura-E engine leaking coolant - what's this part called?

Hello -

My old Fiesta (1.3 petrol Endura-E) is leaking coolant from a joint at the top of the engine. There's a sort of aluminium dome bolted to the engine block with two hoses going into it. The leak is at the joint between the aluminium and the engine block. Presumably there's a gasket that needs to be replaced.

Does anyone know what this gasket is called so I can buy a new one? Is it simply a case of draining some coolant, unbolting the aluminium bit and replacing the gasket? Alternatively, can I get some kind of sealant?

There's a photograph here:

I've tried tightening the 2 bolts that attach the aluminium thing to the engine, but they were fairly tight already, so I don't think that's going to fix it. My Haynes manual doesn't seem to refer to this bit of the engine.

Thanks

Reply to
Simon

you want a 'thermostat housing gasket', from a ford place will get a better gasket than the average car shop, replacement should be easy, undo the bolts, clean both surfaces, replace the gasket and bolt back, I would usually recommend using a gasket glue (of a suitable type) as well, two bolt housings easily distort and the glue will take up a fair bit of distortion. catch the spilt coolant and pour it back or just add antifreeze to top up.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

distortion.

Thanks for that. I've just bought a new gasket from a Ford dealer for 41 pence. They looked aghast when I asked for gasket glue, but I'll probably get some from Halfords just in case before I get the socket set out.

Reply to
Simon

Ideally you would not use any sealant, but reality is that when things get old or overtightened and are a poor design in the beginning (only two bolts to hold a circular seal is poor design, but slightly cheaper than three bolts) then a bit of glue will keep it sealed for longer. A sealant like hylomar or the correct loctite one for the job will be fine.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Stuff em. The Japanese tend to use it everywhere and produce leak free long lasting engines.

Reply to
Doki

I strongly recommend new bolts as well. Cooling system bolts are often corroded and much more likely to break if re-used.

Reply to
Stephen Chalmers