Finding a GROUP 1 ins car????

Need to find a group 1 insurance car as it is for our lad who is 17. I know about sites like

BUT is there a way or a site that lets you search through their lists with the engine size or insurance group being one of the search criteria please? Would we just be better wandering around the local shops, car spares shops and side street garages and looking at their adverts? E-Bay seems mad as the prices usually go up phenomenally in the final 30 minutes.

I have looked at

and
and the AA for insurance. First 2 come up with prices between £1,500 and £3,600 BUT the AA site was a bargain with quotes starting from five thousand PLUS!!!

These are what seem to be in Group 1 from the Parkers site:- Fiat Panda (83-95) Fiat Seicento (98-04) SEAT Marbella (88-93) Skoda Fabia Hatchback (00 on) Vauxhall Corsa Hatchback (93-00)

Final option is to buy him a push bike and get him to do the PASS PLUS test and wait until ins is cheaper - maybe when he is 40!!!!

Any helpful thoughts please folks?

Reply to
Robert Knowles

Try "Admiral"

Reply to
David Keates

Its not searchable by group but parkers website gives the insurance group for each car you look up. Eg if you look up a corsa 1.0 itll tell you its an IG1

hth

Ad

Reply to
Mad Ad

It is searchable by group! If you go to Insurance at the top, you can then select a group:

Gives the following cars in group 1:

  • Chevrolet Matiz (05 on) * Citroën 2CV6 (81-90) * Citroën C1 (05 on) * Citroën C2 (03 on) * Fiat 126 Hatchback (87-92) * Fiat 126 Saloon (77-87) * Fiat Panda (04 on) * Fiat Panda (83-95) * Fiat Seicento (98-04) * Peugeot 107 (05 on) * SEAT Marbella (88-93) * Skoda Fabia Hatchback (00 on) * smart fortwo coupé (04 on) * Toyota Aygo (05 on) * Vauxhall Corsa Hatchback (00-03) * Vauxhall Corsa Hatchback (03 on) * Vauxhall Corsa Hatchback (93-00)

John.

Reply to
JM

When we were buying a car for my 17 year old nephew there wasn't much difference in insurance between group 1 and group 2, but it gives you a lot more choice of cars.

You don't want a Corsa 1.0...

Reply to
Steve Knight

Pretty sure that, at 17, most of the loading on the premium will be for

3rd party claims, meaning that a sensible family sized car of around 1.6l engine size or a diesel is not likely to be significantly more expensive to insure than a shopping trolley.
Reply to
SteveH

Probably not expensive enough, there are too many of these young louts on the road. Crank the insurance up, that what I say.

Reply to
PC Hood

The message from JM contains these words:

Cor - that's what I learnt in!

Reply to
Guy King

Thanks for input folks. Yep gp 2 sounds possible - will investigate. We know that my gp 4 car was £2,400 but a gp 1 car was £900 less at £1,500 ish. It did seem that fully comp WAS cheaper as they had a £500ish excess whereas the third party quotes didn't have an excess. It's a minefield . . Hey, that's an idea - get him an old tank from the MOD. Surely most people would make sure that they avoid collision with him then!

Reply to
Robert Knowles

lets you do a groupsearch. Just type 1 in the group box and leave the rest blank.

Reply to
Paul Rooney

Yeah...buy him a classic. Insure it as a classic car on limited mileage. Not only will he have something that looks a little different but it won't lose value.

Reply to
Conor

And of course you drove like a nun when you got your first car and you've never had an accident.

Reply to
Conor

You won't find a company that'll insure a classic on a classic policy as a main car for a 17 year old.

Reply to
SteveH

That's a big bite on some pretty stinky bait there

Reply to
Dr Zoidberg

You've loads of options, but first consider that the insurance grouping is just an indication.

Have a look at my Datasheet for some ideas.

Reply to
DervMan

allows you to search by group. Enjoy. You can even download the whole thing.

Note I read somewhere that the smart has recently been regrouped as 1E which should make it a good buy - funky, easy to drive and he can't fit too many mates into it.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Reply to
Robert Knowles

Don't be silly, that would be sensible! We're talking about insurance companies here!

But you're on the right track... It didn't seem to matter what insurance group it was, anything 1.2 litres or less was affordable, anything over 1.2 was crazy insurance.

We looked at 1.1 petrol and 1.5D Saxos (both group 4). A the 1.5 diesel was totally out of the question on insurance whereas the 1.1 petrol (more powerful and faster than the diesel) was affordable. Crazy.

In the end we bought a 1.2 Corsa.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Dervman, I've had a look at your fascinating website but could find a datasheet for insurance!!!

Reply to
Robert Knowles

Insurance companies seem to assume that diesels are going to be driven more, even though they ask for approx annual mileage.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp