Finding out where coolant is going...

Any surefire ways to find out where coolant is going? It's VW G12 coolant if that makes any difference. I suspect it's losing some on a hose somewhere, as it's been doing it slowly for a while now since most of the cooling system was replaced - it had a new Rad, water pump, stat & cam belt as it started overheating back in March or April.

I'm hoping it's not a blown HG as I can't see it weeping for months at a time without suddenly doing. The car has also done a good 10000+ miles since the repairs, 2000 or so of which were done in 35+ degree heat, so I suspect the HG is solid.

Reply to
Doki

Nothing beyond looking for stains from the leaking coolant, sorry, unless there's a UV dye you could add?

It's not the infamous Mk2 heat exchanger is it? Is this your Golf?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

as it overheated then the first check for non visible coolant loss would be the head gasket. get hold of a block test kit and use it to sniff the gas above the coolant with the engine running, any colour change of the test liquid shows head gasket problems.

item 180403712565 on ebay is the thing you will need

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Look at the expansion tank and top. Often people cross thread the top and it causes coolant to be forced out. Sometimes it will squeel. I had that on my car and two garages kept the car for a day each and didn't fix it. It was someone at work who suggested it to me.

Reply to
IanT

It might be something as simple as the radiator / expansion pressure cap. They don't last for ever. I had the same problem (different car) and a new cap solved the problem.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

IanT wrote: It was

Think. If the Tiscali Idiot naturally behaves like he does, the chances of him holding down a job must be minimal. And would people there actually approach him and talk to him?

Thick.

Reply to
Adrian C

Who or what is the Tiscali idiot I have seen refered to a many time in the car groups and others Adrian ?

(excuse my lack of knowledge here :) )

Reply to
Stephen

IanT, also known as Clive, Roger & any other name he can come up with to avoid peoples killfiles. He's fairly easy to spot by posting style & general incompetence.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Ahhh I think hes over in uk.discounts and bargains not being too helpful :)

Reply to
Stephen