ford DOHC

Looking at an old sierra 2.0 LX (carb), looks very good condition for year and well maintained. 90K on the clock

But, I've heard these engines are a total nightmare, so should I stay clear and look for a CVH or pinto example? Problem is most sierra's are pretty ratty now, and this has been well looked after...

Reply to
Chris

They can be a nightmare if start having headgasket problems, oil leaks you cant stem, and unless you're pretty good at mechanicing, its not worth paying someone to do the cam-chain change on these cos of the value of the car. (its a £400 job to do professionally) The kit to do the job is about £200 and is a good 4 hrs work. The problem is the chains snap without warning at around the 80-100k interval due to the plastic tensioner wearing out. If it does- the engine is scrap.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Depends on what price you get it for .

Judge the engine on its own merits and not its reputation IMHO .

Reply to
SOR

No offence dude - but seeing this at the top is every post is rather annoying , So into the kill filter you go and I only mention it in case you think you are being ignored .

Like I said - no offence .

Reply to
SOR

TIMING CHAINS !!!!!!

The timing chains on these engines are notorious for failing around the

80,000 mile mark. If its quiet then it'll be OK. THe DOHC engine is FAR better than the Pinto and the CVH is the shittiest engine Ford ever produced.
Reply to
Conor

none taken :)

Reply to
dojj

condition for year

should I stay clear

sierra's are pretty

around the

engine is FAR

ever

Yep, the DOHC is far superior to the others mentioned. I also concur with Dojj, i.e it costs approx £120 in parts and takes around 2+ hours.

I've been running 2 2.0i DOHC Sapphires (1991 and 1993 models) for about 5 years. I changed the chains on one at 110k (it was rattling) and the other is currently on 123k with the original chains (and silent). In the case of the latter (1993 one) the body is so badly dented and scratched that the costs of the parts would be almost as much as its more than its worth! Apart from regular oil and filter changes (and coolant/brake fluid every 2 years) they receive very little work and have proved exceptionally reliable.

Reply to
SandS