Escort Van

Hi

I am in the process of doing a load (and I mean load) of clearence from my sisters and my garden as well as dismataliing about 150 yards of fencing and posts which is about a million years old. I estimate about 50 skip loads in the next year of trash from both gardens. A solution would be a small van to take a few bags of stuff a day to the tip ( I pass tip everyday). That way , I can do a bit of wiork every evening and leave weekends to myself

I have looked at a N reg Escort 1.8D which is in the Part Ex to Clear yard of a commercials dealer. It looks in pretty good nick , very little rust , all locks in place and unwrittien. It has done 90k and serviced up to 75k.

I am happy with the vehicle and just need to know the going rate for a van of this age and reasonable to good condition. What are the week points on this type of vehicle. It will be doing 100 mile a week tops and will as stated be used to take stuff to the tip on way to work. I assume taht it will be cheaper on fuel then my Rover 618 being a diesel.

The price on screen is £1500 but I was hoping not to spend more than £1000 and keep it for a year before selling on.

Reply to
John

Does the sticker price include or exclude VAT?

Just a thought, as if it's a commercial vehicle being sold by a VAT registered company, then they should be charging VAT. This will be another £262.50 on top assuming you pay the asking price, or £175 if you get it for what you want to pay.

Reply to
Ian Edwards

Before you buy ...

My local tip assumes that vans are used by tradesmen and doesn't let them use the tip without stopping and questioning/charging them. I'd check the policies at your tip before buying.

Reply to
TTT

£1500 (even £1000) seems a helluva lot. But I've been to a few auctions recently and have been surprised by how much such vans fetch - far more than the corresponding cars in the same condition. An "N" vehicle is "old", and there aren't many Escort-type vans that are both old and have remained in decent condition - so the prices go up. A trailer is the best solution for the kind of trash you're getting rid of, but I guess there'd be parking problems with that at your daily (workplace?) destination.
Reply to
DB.

The local tip only stops hightop vans. A escort van is no problem but they do sometimes ask for a proof of address. A trailor isnt an option as parking will be an issue and also will need to buy a trailer and hitch point so this isnt really practical. A escort/astra van is what I am looking at for a fair amount of space I can fill in an evening and parking.

Reply to
John

TTT ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Indeed.

I'm on the border of Bucks and Herts, and use a 2cv van for taking crap to the tip. Herts don't care - I took a load of stuff down this am, and was next to a signwritten upholsterer's van. However, Bucks refuse point blank to let me in. I have to park outside and carry everything in - even if there's nobody else there. It's blatantly obvious that I'm not trade in any way, and it's just a little bit every now and then - certainly not a load a day.

Another solution would be a small box trailer. A lot cheaper to buy, and no worries about the running costs - and, most importantly - no problem with the tip...

Reply to
Adrian

Same here. *Any* van carrying *any* waste has to be registered to that tip, has to weigh on and off and is then charged by weight. The minimum charge per load at my tip is 65UKP! No wonder there is so much fly-tipping.

Be aware that if you contemplate using a trailer or estate car, there are still restrictions on what you can dump for free. When I queried this recently I was advised by the site manager that anything you would normally take with you when you move house can be dumped for free, everything else is chargeable. He gave as examples a free standing wardrobe, which would be accepted, and kitchen units (that would normally be fixed to a wall) as chargeable.

I was told that these charges came in a couple of years ago when central government withdrew funding for rubbish disposal. Around the same time that the price of skip hire trebled locally ISTR....

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The message from "John"

contains these words:

Ensure that she's not paying you in any way to carry the waste, or if she is that you never admit it to the staff at the dump. If she does you'll need a waste carriers' license.

Reply to
Guy King

I am on quite goos terms withthe guys up there, Its amazing what a bottle of scotch every Christmas does. They often ask my "opinion" on PC kit that has been dumped , and are more than happy for me to take 4 large bags of garden waste up there. As for my sister paying me , yep right. I believe that there is more chance of Shell giving me free DERV for life. It is just that I have just bought a large amount of wasteland at the back of my garden which is 5 to 15 foot deep in bushes and the like and my sister also has a large area where we have dumped stuff while decorating her house. Things like cupboards , old carpet ,laod sof boxes from her loft etc............... ANd of course the rotton stench of 3 years of grass cuttings.

Reply to
John

The message from "John"

contains these words:

Ah - sisters - who'd have 'em.

Actually - I rather like mine, but that's probably 'cos I only got to know her properly when we were both adults.

Reply to
Guy King

No chance of a nice big bonfire? Or do regulations preclude that? If you wait till early November, you might be able to charge admission... ;-)

Reply to
Taz

You would be better off wth a DAF sherpa pickup or ex post office box van as they are roomy and solidly built. Escort vans are not much better than the escort/astra estate without seats

regards, Steve "John"

Reply to
Stephen Tames