Ford Fiesta 1.1 (95) Door Locks Not Working

Hi All,

a request for help from anyone who's had/dealt with this problem before.

Car is Ford Fiesta Quartz 1.1 (1995).

Both driver and passenger door locks not unlocking when using the key, although passenger side will unlock after several attempts.

Both will lock ok when using the key.

From inside the car, can unlock both using the levers. Can also lock

the passenger side from inside.

Driver side door has been broken for some time - I assumed because someone tried to break into the car, so have been using the passenger side for quite a while.

Passenger side started to be difficult to unlock last week, but would open after a few attempts. The key will turn as it used to when locking the door.

I'd like to see what the options are before I can't get into the car at all :-(

I do have a spare key (all red handle) but I havn't tried this as yet.

any help at all appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
ford_fiesta_diy

Whoops - typo

Passenger side started to be difficult to unlock last week, but would open after a few attempts. The key will turn as it used to when UNlocking the door.

Reply to
ford_fiesta_diy

The keys wear on those. I'd be inclined to try the red key next, and if that works ok, get a duplicate cut from that (assuming the cost isn't too prohibitive, as it's probably a chipped immobiliser key).

The locks also wear, and you may find you need to fit some new ones - not that dear really, and plenty in the breakers.

The reason the locks always lock okay with original key, is they're designed to lock with *any* key of that type... it's only when you need to lock them that you need the right key.

Reply to
JackH

Thanks JackH

I've just tried the red key and it definitely is doing a better job at opening the passenger side door.

Also, tried it in the driver door but that must have been broken when the break in was attempted :-(

Now I'll try to get a copy cut - both the original key and the read key have a little red insert in the handle - do you think this is needed when the duplicate key is cut ?

Thanks again for the help.

Reply to
ford_fiesta_diy

Behind the red insert is the transponder for the immbolizer. When you get a new key cut, you need to programme it, using the red master key. Put the red master key in the ignition, turn the ignition on, turn the ignition off, remove the master key (at this point the small red immobilizer light should come on), insert the new key, and turn the ignition on (within

8 seconds of turning the ignition off - or before the red light goes out). And that'll programme the new key.
Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Thanks Moray,

I'm not aware of the red small light - any ideas where should I be looking for this ?

Thanks

Reply to
ford_fiesta_diy

On Fords that era, it's normally part of the clock unit, in the middle of the dash - the light blinks as a deterrent, when you leave the car, and lock it all up.

HTH

Reply to
JackH

Getting a second hand lock or lock set for one of these, is simple enough - trouble is, a lot of them are suffering from the same sort of wear.

If the main key still works the ignition lock ok, just get the door locks changed, and use the key that comes with them - that way you don't need to shell out for another chipped key for the ignition.

Or... most competent locksmiths, if like my local one, will have the savvy to be able to open up a new (or secondhand) lock, and re-pin it to match the existing key pattern, meaning you still get to use the one key for all locks.

Personally, I'd just source new door locks, and put up with the vast inconvenience of having two keys for the car, rather than one. ;)

Reply to
JackH

The message from "JackH" contains these words:

A full set of locks from Ford wan't that much last time I looked. That way you get nice working locks all with the same key /and/ a spare!

Reply to
Guy King

Unless of course your car has a chipped ignition key, of course... which being a 1995 model, I suspect this Fiesta has. ;-)

Reply to
JackH

The message from "JackH" contains these words:

You prise the chip out of the the old key and stuff it into the new key!

Reply to
Guy King

Oh...

'Hang on, that makes sense...'